Is my Russian tortoise healthy?

MizzyDaTort

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Hi there, I live in missouri, and I plan on taking my tortoise to the vet here soon for a regular check up. She is my first tortoise, and I’ve had her for a long while. Around 8 years now. I’m unsure if I’ve been taking care of her properly since I got her at a rather young age and just took care of her as I thought I should. Only recently have I actually looked into research about this and upped her care a lot more. (I plan on building her a new enclosure actually!)

Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you could tell if there’s anything immediately wrong with her from the pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can't really tell much from a pic but I see no problems.
If you follow our caresheet for care and diet you shouldn't have any problems. Unless there is a medical reason or very bad runny poops or obvious worms, then I would not take her to a vet. Most no very little to nothing about tortoises and end up doing more harm then good. My leopards are 10 years old and I have had my Russian as long, but hes older and they have never been to a vet.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi there, I live in missouri, and I plan on taking my tortoise to the vet here soon for a regular check up. She is my first tortoise, and I’ve had her for a long while. Around 8 years now. I’m unsure if I’ve been taking care of her properly since I got her at a rather young age and just took care of her as I thought I should. Only recently have I actually looked into research about this and upped her care a lot more. (I plan on building her a new enclosure actually!)

Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you could tell if there’s anything immediately wrong with her from the pics.
Hi there, and welcome to the forum! That’s great that you’re trying to improve your care and give your tortoise a good life. The main issue I see with the pics you’ve posted is that her beak is quite over grown. If you take her to the vet, this is likely the first thing they’ll point out and want to fix. Having an over grown beak makes it harder for the tortoise to eat. Once the vet trims it down, start feeding your tortoise on a piece of slate or similar material so that it can help keep the beak trim. People on The forum would be able to provide much more valuable feedback if you show pictures of your enclosure along with a description of the bulbs you’re using for heat and UV. What are the temperatures in the enclosure...warm side, cool side, basking and night time low. What diet are you feeding. The more information you can provide, the better advice you’ll get. I promise you, you’ll get the better advice here than anywhere else, likely including your vet.

To start with, here’s a link to the most up to date care sheet for your species of tortoise. Please take a good read and ask as many questions as you like!