Is my Russian Tortoise going to survive?

Earl the girl

Location (City and/or State)
North Liberty, Indiana
My son has a Russian Tortoise name Earl. She's (yes a girl name Earl) 9 years old and has lived in a 25 gallon fish tank all her life. We've had her 7 years. She lives at dad's house (divorced parents) and last Sunday dad called son at my house to say she had swollen white eyes and was very lethargic and not eating. We brought her habitat to my house and have been doing baby food/warm water soaks daily and took her to the vet Tuesday. Vet said she had blocked tear ducts and flushed her eyes, said vitamin deficiency and to keep doing soaks, and probably was getting dehydrated so again, continue warm water soaks for hydration and also prescribed antibiotics for her. We use UVA and UVB bulbs and rotate there being on and not exceed 12 hours per day. She is looking better, color wise and all, but she's still very lethargic and not eating. When we hold her she does move her legs and head around. I'm just worried because she's not eating yet and/or eating. The vet said she probably is intaking some of the water during the soaks and we recheck in 2 weeks. I'm just afraid she's going to die before that. Anyone ever have a tortoise with these symptoms? Any suggestions? I don't want to see her pass away, my son, although 15 will be heart broken if that happens.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
a 25 gallon tank is way too small for a adult russian. they need a much larger space (4'x8'). No UVA bulb necessary. please post pictures of tort and entire setup including lights. That way we can help with any other changes. Also read the caresheet. It will answer most questions you can think of.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes please get her in a bigger home ASAP. She should also have an outdoor home for warm months if possible.
We can't say if she will survive. She has been under stress for a very long time being in such a small space.
Keep up the soaks, add baby pedialyte to the soaks and please get her home much improved.

Earl the girl

North Liberty, Indiana
Here is the current set up and her eyes. We are in the process of converting an old dresser into a new habitat for her with a lot more space. 3 feet x 4 feet.

This picture of her tank was immediately after moving her from dads house to mine. So minimal set up at 10pm at night.

As for the UVA bulb, ok, we'll stop that. I know we've been doing a lot of changes since Sunday to improve her lifestyle. She's getting a lot more natural lighting and exposure.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210628_181019.jpg
    20210628_181019.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 123

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
are you using a coil fluorescent type uvb bulb? if so, i would stop using that immediately. They have been known to cause eye issues. you will want a ho t5 strip bulb/fixture.

1625229042124.png

Earl the girl

North Liberty, Indiana
Currently she's in the kitchen so it does not fall below 65. Even when we have our ac on it does not drop below 73. Since we're in Northern Indiana we get crazy shifts is temps. Past week it's been above 74 every night outside, yet last evening it was 54. So last evening we used heat lamp at night since house windows were open.
Ok I can look for CHE instead.

Thanks

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Here is the current set up and her eyes. We are in the process of converting an old dresser into a new habitat for her with a lot more space. 3 feet x 4 feet.

This picture of her tank was immediately after moving her from dads house to mine. So minimal set up at 10pm at night.

As for the UVA bulb, ok, we'll stop that. I know we've been doing a lot of changes since Sunday to improve her lifestyle. She's getting a lot more natural lighting and exposure.
Please put her in a wooden garden box or a christmas tupperwear container that is much bigger than that. She is stressed. She needs adequite space, a food bowl, water dish, daily soaks to get her back to her good health. What are you feeding her?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
OMG poor baby.
I feel horrible for her. @MichaelL @Tom
Please soak her in warm water every day until improvements start to happen. You can get eye drops for your tortoise they are reptidrops. to help with the irritation of her eyes. I have never seen eyes this bad.
I agree with what the others said. Keep soaking, that is crucial. A larger enclosure is also crucial. I would soak her in a container outside under the natural sun (fully supervised the whole time). The natural sun is very important for health. No nighttime heat, these guys are very hardy. I personally don't think it will die within the next week or two, they can survive very long periods while under stress or sick. That said, she was under stress for a while so death is possible. I'm sure others have told you all this info, but just wanted to clarify. Hope she makes it! I'm rooting for her!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Turn off the coil bulb ASAP. It is burning her eyes. Those should never be used.

Read the care sheet and follow it. That is this tortoises best chance of survival.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I agree with what the others said. Keep soaking, that is crucial. A larger enclosure is also crucial. I would soak her in a container outside under the natural sun (fully supervised the whole time). The natural sun is very important for health. No nighttime heat, these guys are very hardy. I personally don't think it will die within the next week or two, they can survive very long periods while under stress or sick. That said, she was under stress for a while so death is possible. I'm sure others have told you all this info, but just wanted to clarify. Hope she makes it! I'm rooting for her!
Thanks Mike!
I am rooting for her as well. Take in all the advice you can get to see improvements, Please inform us on her progression.

Earl the girl

North Liberty, Indiana
Thank you everyone. Tonight we're finishing her diy larger habitat and moving her into it. I'm hoping that will help. She'll have more room, food (dried fruits and veggies, as well as fresh fruits and veggies) a water dish and burrow location. I'll definitely check into those repitdrops for her eyes and Pedialyte for the soaks. Her new habitat is actually going to be in our enclosed porch that is all windows so she'll get plenty of natural light and temps. I'll also read that care sheet more and keep everyone posted.

I believe the stress was going on at dad's when he didn't take care of the pet for 2 weeks because he "forgot". So I'll be mom to the rescue and get her back up and running!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Thank you everyone. Tonight we're finishing her diy larger habitat and moving her into it. I'm hoping that will help. She'll have more room, food (dried fruits and veggies, as well as fresh fruits and veggies) a water dish and burrow location. I'll definitely check into those repitdrops for her eyes and Pedialyte for the soaks. Her new habitat is actually going to be in our enclosed porch that is all windows so she'll get plenty of natural light and temps. I'll also read that care sheet more and keep everyone posted.

I believe the stress was going on at dad's when he didn't take care of the pet for 2 weeks because he "forgot". So I'll be mom to the rescue and get her back up and running!
NO FRUIT NO FRUIT NO FRUIT.
Sorry, I just wanted to get that point across.
Great job on the new start for her enclosure. That is happy to read. I would stick with only leafy greens, and herbs, certian flowers such as pansys, hibiscus, mulberry leaves, blueberry leaves, santa barbra mix salad is good for variety. I also get a dry mix from @kapidolofarms you can check out his website by searching Kapidolofarms.com.

So daily soaks, a good substrate, adequte lighting and heating source, should help. I would get reptidrops from the pet store to start off with those. They do work great.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Being on the enclosed porch with windows will not give her UVB from the sun. The windows block a percentage of the UVB.

She should get some outdoor time in a safe enclosure with access to unfiltered sunlight. She also needs to have access to shade, so she can get out of the sun. If you get her outside for an hour or two each week, she doesn't need indoor UVB.

Don't ever turn on that coil bulb again. In the winter, you will need a UVB bulb. This is what you will need to get.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Thanks for doing what you can for this tortoise. Please see if there is a reptile shop or vet that can check and trim the beak and claws. Please read the care sheet and ensure light, diet, hydration. Your attention and care now will ensure longevity and comfort in future years.