Is my Russian Tortoise dead???

Animallover1303

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I got him three days ago and he’s been sleeping quite a bit but I heard they do that when they are stressed (change of environment) but I can always wake him up. This morning it is raining and he is not waking up. Usually I’ll rub his shell and he’ll wake up and this morning he is non responsive. I pulled his limbs slightly and it’s stiff, I put him in water and no movement, and I put him under his basket light and still nothing. It never gets colder than 74 in my house and he has proper lighting and I even take him outside.
Did he die?? I feel awful

Attachments

• 9AAACC49-562B-447A-894C-9476710EB4B9.jpeg
    9AAACC49-562B-447A-894C-9476710EB4B9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 127
  • 81DF4328-E9B6-4EBB-A88B-18AA8BFF23C7.jpeg
    81DF4328-E9B6-4EBB-A88B-18AA8BFF23C7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 125

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
I am so sorry. Sometimes things like this happen. It was not you fault. Did you get him from PetCo or PetSmart? They tend to get their Russian tortoise’s from wild caught suppliers that are not reliable. I would leave him out for a day or two. Sometimes these guys miraculously come back from the dead.

Animallover1303

Florida
I am so sorry. Sometimes things like this happen. It was not you fault. Did you get him from PetCo or PetSmart? They tend to get their Russian tortoise’s from wild caught suppliers that are not reliable. I would leave him out for a day or two. Sometimes these guys miraculously come back from the dead.

I got him from a reptile store. I’ll leave him outside and see if anything changes. His legs are more limp but his arms are still retracted

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Poke his limbs and see if he budges. They have fast active reflexes and can sense your touch.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm so very sorry.

You should call the store and ask for a refund. Don't bury him til you know what they want you to do.

It won't take the hurt away, but you may as well get your money back.

Animallover1303

Florida
I had a Russian tortoise before and this one was a lot less energetic and didn’t eat. I thought maybe because he was shy or scared. I would keep the shell but the store told me I had to bring him in to get my refund. So they just threw him away like trash. Shows how much they cared about their pets. Thanks everyone for your kind words!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A tortoise that died in 3 days likely was sold to you already near death.
What Reptile store was it? (I'm in south Florida and one place comes to my mind)