Is my Russian big enough to breed?

awesomecs

5 Year Member
how old is she I would like breed her only for one day then be separated for 2 years since they an hold sperm for a long time

DSCN0260.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She is an older one, probably 5-8 years could be more. Can't tell the exact age of a tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
remember they breed based on size not age. A female Russian should be a minimum of 6 inches preferably larger.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She looks like she has a bit more growing to do before you allow her to lay eggs.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
thanks oh should I buy a bigger enclosure i think i need to heres a pick oh and here is her tail DSCN0265.JPG DSCN0263.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no way to tell the age of a tortoise just by looking.

Put a ruler flat on the ground up against a wall and then put your tortoises face up against the same wall until the head is retracted and the shell touches the wall. Then look down at the back of the shell and onto the ruler. Tell us how long your tortoise is.

I think your enclosure is adequate, but more room to roam would be even better.

Also, it is not known how long a russian can store sperm. Some species can store it for 5 years, like leopards, other species, like sulcatas, can only store it a few months. I don't know where russians fall on this spectrum.

In most cases I think they should be bred several times during each breeding season in the fall and spring. Be sure the male you find has been properly vetted and quarantined before you risk introducing your female to him. Realize you are taking a risk by exposing your tortoise to another tortoise.There is risk of disease, parasites and injury from fighting. I would introduce the female into the male's enclosure, if I was going to do it this way.

Last edited: