• yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Batmam246

Location (City and/or State)
ireland
Can we see a picture of the enclosure? TechnoCheese is right especially for juveniles. Adults can probably be fine at around 70% humidity but the juveniles need to be kept very humid. Their shells are growing much faster.

It is caused by dehydration so something you can do to help until you get the humidity up is soak him every single day, maybe 2x a day.
here is a pic of the enclosure

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 60

Batmam246

ireland
i am finding it hard to keep the humid up even if i have something over it it stays around 60 % any ideas what i should do

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
This should be easy to cover! You can cover the bulb area with something heatproof like aluminum foil and cover the rest with whatever you like, like a clear silicone sheet so you can see inside. It will take a while for humidity to increase, there needs to be sufficient heat and moisture.

Reptibark doesn’t hold humidity well so you can add a layer of coco coir underneath. Or you can add sphagnum moss on top.

You can also add live, edible plants. You can keep them in pots.

Batmam246

ireland
Update on him his shell looks better but not sure here is a few pics of his shell.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 39
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 38
Connecticut
Update on him his shell looks better but not sure here is a few pics of his shell.
Hello. I read somewhere that torts don't show pyramiding until they get older. I was having trouble with humidity, but just solved it by adding a small humidifier to inside hid enclosure. I have a plastic shower curtain over the top of his Rubbermaid tub to also help hold humidity in.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Do you spray your tort's enclosure with water? I do each and every day , as I live in Jordan where the climate is extremely dry.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello. I read somewhere that torts don't show pyramiding until they get older. I was having trouble with humidity, but just solved it by adding a small humidifier to inside hid enclosure. I have a plastic shower curtain over the top of his Rubbermaid tub to also help hold humidity in.
If you've got a Rubbermaid tub did it come with a lid? You would be much better off modifying it so you can put the lid on it. Then just add water to your substrate. I haven't added any water to mine in week's and the humidity stays 85-95%. Also you will see Pyramiding as the new growth comes in, so yes it will show before the Tort is older.

Connecticut
If you've got a Rubbermaid tub did it come with a lid? You would be much better off modifying it so you can put the lid on it. Then just add water to your substrate. I haven't added any water to mine in week's and the humidity stays 85-95%. Also you will see Pyramiding as the new growth comes in, so yes it will show before the Tort is older.
Yeah I have a lid. I will try that. Very good points.