Is my red foot tort healthy?

dinobumm

Location (City and/or State)
Washington State
I got my tort, Willy, back in June 2020, he was about 2 inches then. Now he is slightly over 3 inches and weighs around 2 ounces. I feed him all types of leafy greens and various fruits as recommended and sprinkle calcium/vitamin d supplements on his food at least once a week. He normally eats all of the food in his bowl by nighttime and I feed him every other day.
As well as put him to bathe in warm water once a day.
He doesn't explore around his house often and spends most of the day buried. I think it has something to do with how I can't keep his house warm enough during winter here in Washington State (His enclosure is usually around 75 degrees Fahrenheit). I also have a hard time keeping the humidity up (it's usually around 40% humidity) which is really bad I know, but I feel like I've tried everything! Any advice would be lovely.
Thank you.IMG-9861.jpgIMG-9863.jpgIMG-9864.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
There is one perfect solution for both your heat and humidity problems...put a solid lid on his enclosure! Then keep his substrate damp and adjust his lights and night heat to proper levels.

Redfoot especially need warm and very humid environments. The only way to do this is a closed chamber.

Your baby is perfect and beautiful! You can keep him that way, but you have to put in the effort.

Please post some pics of his enclosure and equipment...lights, night heat, substrate, and we'll help you get him straightened out. I can see that his substrate is dry. It needs to be dampened as soon as we get his temps where they need to be.

Why do you starve him every other day? If you were told to do that, don't ever listen to advice from that person again, because he/she doesn't know what they are talking about.

This dear baby should have all he wants to eat of good foods every day. He needs nutrition to grow!

Read this care sheet carefully. Then please come back with any questions or concerns you have. Post pics of his enclosure, and tell us all about his lights, night heat, temps in his enclosure, etc. We'll help you figure it all out.

We're glad you found us! Welcome to TFO!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I got my tort, Willy, back in June 2020, he was about 2 inches then. Now he is slightly over 3 inches and weighs around 2 ounces. I feed him all types of leafy greens and various fruits as recommended and sprinkle calcium/vitamin d supplements on his food at least once a week. He normally eats all of the food in his bowl by nighttime and I feed him every other day.
As well as put him to bathe in warm water once a day.
He doesn't explore around his house often and spends most of the day buried. I think it has something to do with how I can't keep his house warm enough during winter here in Washington State (His enclosure is usually around 75 degrees Fahrenheit). I also have a hard time keeping the humidity up (it's usually around 40% humidity) which is really bad I know, but I feel like I've tried everything! Any advice would be lovely.
Thank you.View attachment 319112View attachment 319113View attachment 319114
That face melts my heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOVE

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Feed daily and keep in mind that he/she cannot correctly digest food at anything below 80°f.
Not being able to digest food will cause issues quickly.
Also, what is in the blue bowl?
If it's water, it's unsuitable because it is too tall and too steep to climb in and out of.
I suggest a small ceramic or tera cota plant saucer.