Is my little guy stressed?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I tired to keyword search for stress but didn't find what I was looking for.

My tort has only been with us for 5 days now so I know he's still tripping out over his new home and new people but I wanted to know if it's normal for him to kind of pant. It's hard to describe what he's doing. And it only happens when he knows your looking at him. He sees you then starts to expand his throat, sort of like the way a frog croaks. He doesn't make any sounds when he does it. I figure we're just stressing him out because of his new surroundings.

My 15 y/o daughter was looking at him last night and saw him do it and said "aww, I think he likes me because he's purring". I told her no, you're scaring him and making him nervous. That it takes time for him to get use to us. Am I correct in my assumptions? I don't think it's something to worry about. I'm just looking for an insight to tort mannerisms.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is normal breathing for young tortoises. Their front legs move in and out and the throat seems to swell and release. It is not related to stress.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Not stress, normal behavior. I think it is great you are giving him time to adjust. you can tell your daughter, once he warms up to you, you won't believe how personable he can be.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No, not stress.
If you tort is stressed, he'll probably become very panicky and lose his appetite... Good luck with him :D