Is my Hermann's shell healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Just getting a little paranoid after looking at all the pyramiding threads. Shes 9 months old and as far as I know I'm doing everything right! Her borders of each scute?... I think this is what they are called, are a little higher than the individual scutes themselves. If you could have a look please would be great.

In one of the pics shes playing dead. :p

Thanks

:tort:

100_0279.JPG

100_0283.JPG

100_0295.JPG

100_0293.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Yes I soak her for 20 mins every morning. I water her soil every day too because it dries up quickly. Do you think I should bath her more?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Watermelon said:
Yes I soak her for 20 mins every morning. I water her soil every day too because it dries up quickly. Do you think I should bath her more?

No downside to bathing 2X a day, bit it's not really required, either...only thing I'd further suggest, if you're not already doing so, is putting some kind of bedding, like moss, in her hideaway box and keeping that damp, so she sleeps moist (but warm)...

She looks pretty good, actually. :cool:

IshKah

5 Year Member
Madison, WI
Sorry to resurrect this 10 day old thread but I noticed that the back edge of your tortoise's shell looks a lot like my tort's. Maybe the OP or someone else knows but I was curious as to why it looks that way? Is it just older shell that has been replaced?

This picture is an excellent angle of what I am referring to.
attachment.php

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Hi IshKah, sorry what do you mean by the back edge? Is it not supposed to be like that? Sorry I'm only a beginner really I don't know much about the shells.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I don't understand what you're referring to? Based on the photo, if you mean the split scute seams, this occured at birth and will always look like that. It took place during development within the egg.
If you're referring to the jagged edges along the rear marginals, that is normal growth.

zoe roberts

5 Year Member
London
Watermelon said:
Just getting a little paranoid after looking at all the pyramiding threads. Shes 9 months old and as far as I know I'm doing everything right! Her borders of each scute?... I think this is what they are called, are a little higher than the individual scutes themselves. If you could have a look please would be great.

In one of the pics shes playing dead. :p

Thanks

:tort:

Ur Hermann is really cute, mine looks exactly the same as yours. Just wondered, is it a Western race (Testudo hermanni hermanni) or an Eastern race (Testudo hermanni boettgeri)? Because I was wondering which mine is and it's the same as yours. I think it's the Eastern?!
:)

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Looks normal and healthy to me. :)
Besides having a split scute - but that's not really a health issue - only cosmetic. I think it's cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.