Is my friends enclosure good?

Tortoiselivesmatter

Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
My friend has this russian tortoise that I'm babysitting and he put it in this tank and I think its 20 gallons. I feed it kale. and the bulbs are a zilla heat bulb and a zilla uvb coil bulb, the tortoise seems healthy but idk if this enclosure is ideal from what ive been reading and I want to tell him if that is so.20200729_153533.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Please have your friend read up on Russians care here. Literally everything they're doing is wrong. From the size of the enclosure, substrate, to the coil bulb. I don't even see a water dish?

Tortoiselivesmatter

Staten Island, New York
Please have your friend read up on Russians care here. Literally everything they're doing is wrong. From the size of the enclosure, substrate, to the coil bulb. I don't even see a water dish?

Alright I’ll make sure too, the enclosure size is gonna be a challenge since he lives In a cramped Brooklyn apartment, I ordered a reptisun bulb to replace the coil uvb and what type of substrate should i put instead of alfalfa?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Alright I’ll make sure too, the enclosure size is gonna be a challenge since he lives In a cramped Brooklyn apartment, I ordered a reptisun bulb to replace the coil uvb and what type of substrate should i put instead of alfalfa?
Most people use orchid bark, Cypress mulch, or Coco coir

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
how should he get a bigger enclosure? i told him its too small so we need to figure out were to find a bigger one.
Your best bet would be to build one. A space 8ft x 4ft is generally recommend for an adult Russian. Search up enclosure build threads on here. Your friend could even do a 4 x 2 two story enclosure to save on space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My friend has this russian tortoise that I'm babysitting and he put it in this tank and I think its 20 gallons. I feed it kale. and the bulbs are a zilla heat bulb and a zilla uvb coil bulb, the tortoise seems healthy but idk if this enclosure is ideal from what ive been reading and I want to tell him if that is so.
As has been said, literally everything there is wrong. And the changes your are making are wrong too. Not saying this to be mean. I'm saying this to help you get it right. Here is what I mean: The coil bulb needs to be turned off ASAP, but what kind of "reptisun" bulb are you getting? Any cfl or MVB bull is not the way to go. Also, you can't buy the appropriate enclosure for an adult Russian in a store. There is nothing commercially made that is anywhere near large enough. Tortoises need lots of room to roam INSIDE their enclosures. Please don't take that to mean you should let it out to walk around the room, as that is a mistake too.

This tortoise need a much large enclosure, the right substrate, a water bowl and a food bowl, correct lighting and heating, a much more varied diet and it would benefit from a large outdoor enclosure and some access to sunlight.

If your friend lives in a cramped apartment and doesn't have room for an enclosure then he doesn't have room for a tortoise. Tortoises meed lots of space in a large enclosure. There are other reptile pets that will do fine in smaller enclosures, but a tortoise isn't one of them.

Here is the most current care info. Please read this and then come back with any questions:

Tortoiselivesmatter

Staten Island, New York
well in light of recent events my friend just told me that i own the Russian now because he doesn't want to do any of what i told him and just told me to have him, but dont worry im gonna try my best to make her the best home but it will take some time because i dont have spare money as of the moment, i found her a really nice plastic tub thats very long that i can start from, i just need to order a tube light and some cypress mulch which will take time because of shortages.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad he gave him to you! Money is tight, so maybe check out a large child's wading pool?

Will you be able to have it outside?

Tortoiselivesmatter

Staten Island, New York
Glad he gave him to you! Money is tight, so maybe check out a large child's wading pool?

Will you be able to have it outside?
no definitely not, i dont even have a backyard xD but i will try to accommodate the best indoor enclosure, maybe i should try to make a tortoise table like i see online lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
no definitely not, i dont even have a backyard xD but i will try to accommodate the best indoor enclosure, maybe i should try to make a tortoise table like i see online lol.
Yes. And keep in mind that most of what you need can be found at the hardware store pretty cheap. A clamp lamp (don't use the clamp...) and an incandescent flood bulb will cost about $15. A timer makes life easier for about $12. Terra cotta saucers for food and water are $2-3 each. A big bag of plain cypress mulch will only cost a few bucks.

Some occasional access to direct sunshine (Be careful not to let him over heat) can eliminate the need for indoor UV until it gets cold outside again. A couple of times a week for an hour in a roof top kiddie pool at least half in the shade would do it.