|----|
|----|
|----|
|----|
|----|
|----|
|----|
|----|
If you have two bins attached side by side it will give you the right width but wrong length like:
|----|
|----|
|----|
|----|
And if you attach them end to end to would be the right length but too thin
|--|
|--|
|--|
|--|
|--|
|--|
|--|
|--|

After seeing this doodle I'm totally confused. :D:D:D

But anyway, those bins are smaller than 2x4, so theoretically you would still need 5 of them. :p
Unbenannt.jpg

Stitchpunk

Location (City and/or State)
Auckland New Zealand
I have an almost 2-yo Greek and for his indoor enclosure I bought plastic bins, cut a hole in both sides of the middle ones and used plastic tubing to connect them. So long as the substrate level is high enough for him to get in and out easily he is fine with using the tunnels and it's an easy way to make a bigger space - plus you can expand it further whenever you want.

Zoo700

I have an almost 2-yo Greek and for his indoor enclosure I bought plastic bins, cut a hole in both sides of the middle ones and used plastic tubing to connect them. So long as the substrate level is high enough for him to get in and out easily he is fine with using the tunnels and it's an easy way to make a bigger space - plus you can expand it further whenever you want.
Would you be able to show me a picture? I think that this is what is happening with our Russian Tortoise. I think her enclosure is too small too and she is restless and bored. What kind of material do you use for a tunnel? I have never made anything for our tortoise before (We have only had her since the end of April) and she has become quite the family member! Awesome question and I am glad it was asked. Thanks RetroFangirl!

Zoo700

Stitchpunk

Location (City and/or State)
Auckland New Zealand
Ok! I went and read most of the post but my questions are dumb ones, but I have got to ask--where did you get the tubes and how did you make the holes in the tubes? I am not crafty/handy and unfortunately neither is the husband!
Those ones are actually plastic containers, tall ones, and we cut the ends off with a knife. But you might find plastic tubing of a suitable size at a hardware store. Then you just need to cut holes to match in the sides of your large tubs. (My tubs don't have lids on them, but that's because the climate where I live is naturally humid so I don't need to keep moisture in.)