Is my desert tortoise dead or hibernating ? Please help ASAP !

christian zuniga

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello, this Saturday my tortoises shell looked more sunken in. All of her body parts are in her shell. When I try touching her arms and legs she doesn’t move at all :(. Can someone help me to decide if I have to bury her or if she is fine and just sleeping .

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's close to midnight here in the east coast. And I don't keep this species. Is it a desert tortoise or a Sulcata?
It looks very dry.
How long has it been this way?
Are the eyes open?
Is there any unusual smell?

christian zuniga

California
It's close to midnight here in the east coast. And I don't keep this species. Is it a desert tortoise or a Sulcata?
It looks very dry.
How long has it been this way?
Are the eyes open?
Is there any unusual smell?
It’s a desert tortoise. It doesn’t smell or anything. The eyes are closed. Her shell did get a lot more softer. I think she pasted :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A brumating tortoise will move when you touch it. I'm sorry to say I think your baby has died. A soft shell means the tortoise didn't receive the necessary calcium and UVB for strong bone and shell growth.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would put her in a shallow tub of warm water (water level just up to where the top and bottom shells meet) in a warm place for an hour and check again if there is any movement, just to be sure. So you never have to wonder if you buried her alive.

Dovey

New River, AZ
Indeed, "dead" and "alive" mean very different things for cold blooded animals than they do for mammals and other warm blooded animals. When it comes to my reptiles and my fish, I never give up and never give in until I can actually smell decomposition. Follow the above good advice re: soaking before you give up.