Is my cherry head tortoise showing early signs of pyramiding?

AndrewDeas

Location (City and/or State)
Knoxville
I am worried that my cherry head tortoise might be showing early signs of pyramiding, is that correct? If so, I would love some advice on how to fix things from here! I feed him a mix of fruit and greens everyday, on Sundays I add a few turtle food pellets for protein. He does not eat all day or the whole bowl, just for 15 minutes or so when I plop the food down. He has a humid hide that I keep wet at all times, I mist his enclosure every day, I soak him twice a week, he has UVB and heat and I give him fresh water every day with the food. Could I perhaps be overfeeding or is there something else you think might be causing the pyramiding? I absolutely adore this guy and I can't stand the thought that I am not giving him the best care possible.

Attachments

• cherry1.jpeg
    cherry1.jpeg
    933.7 KB · Views: 32
  • cherry2.jpeg
    cherry2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • cherry3.jpeg
    cherry3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • cherry4.jpeg
    cherry4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • cherry5.jpeg
    cherry5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I am worried that my cherry head tortoise might be showing early signs of pyramiding, is that correct? If so, I would love some advice on how to fix things from here! I feed him a mix of fruit and greens everyday, on Sundays I add a few turtle food pellets for protein. He does not eat all day or the whole bowl, just for 15 minutes or so when I plop the food down. He has a humid hide that I keep wet at all times, I mist his enclosure every day, I soak him twice a week, he has UVB and heat and I give him fresh water every day with the food. Could I perhaps be overfeeding or is there something else you think might be causing the pyramiding? I absolutely adore this guy and I can't stand the thought that I am not giving him the best care possible.
Yes your tort is in the beginning stages of Pyramiding. Bump up your humidity to at least 80% or higher to prevent it. It's easiest done by sealing up your enclosure with a lid. The new growth should be smooth after that.