Is my basking spot/ambient temperatures too cool?

Dosu

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
Hello everyone,
I found my spur thighed tortoise 1-2 weeks ago and in the first few days, he would use his hides in his enclosure and bask a few hours every day. But then suddenly, he started burrowing underneath the substrate right below the basking lamp and stays there most of the day and night. I know he's not sick and he is mildly active, eating, pooping, pacing around his enclosure. So basically, he just stays there and no where else. Not underneath the hides anymore (he has like 3) nor is he getting proper basking lights anymore as he is underneath the substrate. I do not not what caused him to suddenly change, the temperatures have been constantly the same since I got him. Maybe my basking area is too cool? Currently the basking area is on 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius) and ambient temperatures are on 72.5 degrees Fahrenheit (22.5 degrees Celsius). Or maybe is it because I don't put a tile/rock underneath the basking area like I see in most peoples enclosures?
Help would be appreciated.
Thanks

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
72.5 is a little too cool. In the low 80's is where you would want to be for a cool side mid 80's for warm. Your basking seems fine. New torts do hide though until they get use to the new space

Dosu

Kuwait
Thanks for the reply :D
Actually I just bought a reliable infrared thermometer and I measured the temps. The surface temperature is 108 degrees fahrenheit right underneath basking lamp and the lowest surface temperature on the cool side is 82 degrees fahranheit. I know that new tortoises tend to hide alot but I'm just concerned that he hides directly underneath the basking lamp under the substrate, not anywhere else. It might be too hot there, or maybe he's there cuz everywhere else is too cold.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
108 may be a little too hot.
I like my basking temp between 95 and 102, I try to get 100 when I can.
My cool side is 77, so I don't think your enclosure is too cold.

Dosu

Kuwait
108 may be a little too hot.
I like my basking temp between 95 and 102, I try to get 100 when I can.
My cool side is 77, so I don't think your enclosure is too cold.

I'll decrease my basking spot temperatures, thanks! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This time of year they all start getting ready for hibernation in any temperate climate too. The days are getting cooler and shorter, and they know it even if they are housed indoors.

Dosu

Kuwait
This time of year they all start getting ready for hibernation in any temperate climate too. The days are getting cooler and shorter, and they know it even if they are housed indoors.

But he wont actually hibernate if I keep the temperatures the same, right? Cuz I don't wan't my tortoise to hibernate, he might not be ready yet and could die during hibernation D:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
But he wont actually hibernate if I keep the temperatures the same, right? Cuz I don't wan't my tortoise to hibernate, he might not be ready yet and could die during hibernation D:
Keep up your temperatures, feed tasty titbits and encourage exercise (as I do with Tidgy) and the tortoise will soon lose the desire to hibernate and continue as normal. Work for me!:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Sometimes they try, regardless of what we want or what we try to do. Hibernation is a normal, natural process. Done right its not scary or problematic.

If you don't want the tortoise to hibernate then keep your lights set on timers on for 13-14 hours, add a long florescent tube in the 6500K color range for more light, start doing daily warm water soaks even if you have to dog him out to do it, and you can usually convince them to not hibernate.

Dosu

Kuwait
Sometimes they try, regardless of what we want or what we try to do. Hibernation is a normal, natural process. Done right its not scary or problematic.

If you don't want the tortoise to hibernate then keep your lights set on timers on for 13-14 hours, add a long florescent tube in the 6500K color range for more light, start doing daily warm water soaks even if you have to dog him out to do it, and you can usually convince them to not hibernate.

Yeah, I already have the lights set on 14 hours a day and I'm soaking him daily. The thing is, almost all the threads I read keep saying "DONT HIBERNATE YOUR TORTOISE IF HE'S NOT READY" and things like that "OR HE WILL DIE" so I'm abit worried but thanks for the tips :D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yeah, I already have the lights set on 14 hours a day and I'm soaking him daily. The thing is, almost all the threads I read keep saying "DONT HIBERNATE YOUR TORTOISE IF HE'S NOT READY" and things like that "OR HE WILL DIE" so I'm abit worried but thanks for the tips :D
Errr, the quote's come as if it were from me, but it was Tom!!!
I am innocent of this!!!:)

Last edited: