Is my Baby Greek Sick? Help!

Jennarene

Hello!

I am a brand new first time tortoise owner. My tortoise is about 3 months old and he is tiny and wonderful. His name is Toby.

When I first got him he was quite active and ate a lot. After a few weeks he was very lethargic and not eating as much so I was worried and took him into the exotic pet clinic. It turns out he had worms so I got him treated but when he went back for his second shot he was still not acting very well. My vet gave me some general anti biopics to give him daily and myself and Toby struggled through this together for 10 days.

After the antibiotics and the second worm treatment were done he was still pretty lazy for a few days but then he perked right back up. He was normal for about 2 maybe 2 and a half weeks and not he is super lethargic again his eyes are covered over and seem somewhat sunken. He is appetite has decreased and he stopped eating for a few days but I started hand feeding him and he will take food if he is hand fed and then will eat after he is put down again but he won't start eating by himself.

I just want to know if there is something I can do? Should I take him back to the vet or is there anything I can do to help him feel better!

Thank you so much for any advice!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sure, when you were at the vet's, he asked you many questions in order to give you a good diagnosis. Well, we're sort of flying blind here. We need some answers too.

Without knowing anything about how you care for this baby and how he is set up, I'm going with the most common things we see with baby tortoises.

Are you using a coil-shaped compact fluorescent bulb? If the answer to this is 'yes,' then turn off that bulb immediately. They burn baby tortoise's eyes. If the answer was 'no,' then next question...

What temperature is the habitat? Baby tortoises need to be kept warm. They can't digest their food if their bodies aren't warm.

So tell us how the baby is set up, what you feed him, etc. and maybe give us a picture of his habitat. In the meantime, soak him for at least 15 minutes in warm water every day.

Jennarene

Here are a few photos of his habitat and his current temperature and humidity.

He has had mostly dandelion greens and sometimes different types of kale.

I soak him every day in warm water :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27

Kori5

How is the doing? :). Also, is the temperature 30 C in the whole enclousure or under the heat lamp? Room temp shouldn't be that high, is should be about 23, 24 and the hot end about 33 C.

Jennarene

He is doing ok. His apatie has been better. It's about 25-27 in the room and 33-35 in the hot spot

Thank you for his response.

I have booked him a vet appointment for Wednesday.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Those button type thermometers are notorious for being inaccurate. and dealing with a baby you do not want it to be inaccurate. the one pictured below is one you can get for 15 or 20 off Amazon, from a Pet Shop or Home Depot near you. also you need to get his water dish and sink it into the dirt so that he can just step into it. makes it as easy for him to get in and out of as possible since hydration is so important. many people here, myself included, use terracotta plant saucers for water dishes (and food dishes) since they have the slope sides making them less of a flipping hazard. I've included two pictures of the coil type bulb that you were warned against so that there isn't any confusion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-18-17-05-43.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-18-17-05-43.png
    334.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_2015-12-18-17-10-44.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-18-17-10-44.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2015-12-18-17-08-18.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-18-17-08-18.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2015-12-18-17-09-02.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-18-17-09-02.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 6

Kori5

I'm glad he is better and eating. Please post what the vet says and good luck :).