Is me again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have che in case that i need it for the "winter" around January and February would be like 60 at night time for like a week or so and yep so far that's all.
I don't need uvb he gets natural sunlight everyday also this grass is one of his favorite things.

Attachments

• 1603822299457573333665796878448.jpg
    1603822299457573333665796878448.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27
Florida
do you have any basking lamps or uvb?
Anyways i did come back to this forum because i do have a big concern about mazuri wich i don't need because i do provide a good variety and natural home-grown food .but since everyone feeds mazuri and the zoos do to i said why not

Florida
I tried ls he didn't liked it at all .and then i buy the other one i decided to get the one on amazon so i don't have to buy the 25lbs one in case that he didn't liked it .well he loves it...... but ...... when i was about to buy the one from mazuri.com le 25lbs i was reading that that formula is not for sulcatas tortoise and i was in shock because even at the reviews people feed that to their sulcatas and i do believe that the amazon one is the same formula "5m21" which is not meant for sulcatas is for "tropical and omnivores tortoise " and the actual sulcata food is "mazuri Cu" which is for dry land herbivores tortoise ? so yeah im tripping over this and i need some" professional " point of view

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201027-142239_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027-142239_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20201027-142204_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027-142204_Chrome.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20201027-142318_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027-142318_Chrome.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 12

Kwakin

California
I tried ls he didn't liked it at all .and then i buy the other one i decided to get the one on amazon so i don't have to buy the 25lbs one in case that he didn't liked it .well he loves it...... but ...... when i was about to buy the one from mazuri.com le 25lbs i was reading that that formula is not for sulcatas tortoise and i was in shock because even at the reviews people feed that to their sulcatas and i do believe that the amazon one is the same formula "5m21" which is not meant for sulcatas is for "tropical and omnivores tortoise " and the actual sulcata food is "mazuri Cu" which is for dry land herbivores tortoise ? so yeah im tripping over this and i need some" professional " point of view
You don’t only need tort pellets, you can buy Some baby arugula, or cut up some collard greens and carrots, and every month or so, you can give him so fruit like melon or raspberrie.

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
You don’t only need tort pellets, you can buy Some baby arugula, or cut up some collard greens and carrots, and every month or so, you can give him so fruit like melon or raspberrie.
mazuri/tortoise pellets can actually be fed a few times a week for extra fiber. carrots and fruit are too sweet and might cause parasite blooms.
here's a list of food that are safe:

Florida
Please read again i said that i don't need it and i have a variety of food for him wich not included carrots and fruits
his main food is grass , and hay sides hibiscus ,spineless opuntina cactus, dandelion,romaine lettuce. Sometimes a little bit of banana leaves and the mazuri. But that was not my question my question was if that mazuri food is the right one for sulcatas since the description clearly says that is for tropical and omnivores tortoise.

Kwakin

California
Oh, I don’t think sulcatas would be tropical, because they stand out too well, so not likely, and if your tort likes the pellets, then that is okay even though It is for other tortoises. And maybe check the ingredients fo the mazuri and see if it is okay for your tort

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I’m not going to go back and read all of the back and forth here because I don’t thing it matters. What matters most in the advice given on this forum is the concepts. Sulcatas need consistent hot temperatures, high to very high humidity, proper diet (no fruit), constant access to drinking water/soaks, and shelter/protection from predators. Most ‘bad’ advice elsewhere misses one or more of these key points.

I am not about to say it is impossible to meet these needs in an outdoor enclosure and the thread starter is in one of the very few places in the US where it’s feasible. The indoor closed chamber approach is easy, reliable, and works everywhere. However, even Tom’s often linked care sheet does not say that other methods are impossible, just that indoor closed chambers are the “best” option. I think that’s true, for reasons stated above.

A lot of tortoise keepers and breeders, many who are very experienced and successful, use naturalistic outdoor enclosures - even for hatchlings. This method is just MUCH harder to get right, when you are dealing with hatchlings and there is little margin for error. But, it can work really well in very specific situations where you live in a climate that is already close to what is needed. Certainly this as a more “advanced” strategy and is extremely situational (and hence, irresponsible to recommend to new keepers).

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Please read again i said that i don't need it and i have a variety of food for him wich not included carrots and fruits
his main food is grass , and hay sides hibiscus ,spineless opuntina cactus, dandelion,romaine lettuce. Sometimes a little bit of banana leaves and the mazuri. But that was not my question my question was if that mazuri food is the right one for sulcatas since the description clearly says that is for tropical and omnivores tortoise.

The original 5M21 is what you want. It does have some sugar and the ingredient list is not all that impressive. However, almost nobody can get their tortoises to eat the other LS mazuri (it’s like trying to make my kids eat broccoli). The 5M21 has a proven track record and is fine as a small part of a varied diet.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Hello guys . Is me again. After a while thinking that you all were a bunch of as**oles i went to a Facebook group and most of them doesn't know sh*t about tortoise. definitely "partially" I recognized that all the tips and the "guide" is almost right and i say almost because i live in Miami FL and im not buying a $700 enclosure not even for winter . My humidity is 80% naturally. And my baby tortoise Tony lives outside. He went from 46G to 74G at the moment ,day 28 i have to weigh him again. And with a few changes and a good diet i was able to correct his pyramid .peace out ✌ and i love the forum . Tom maybe in a future if you consider that im doing right i will love to buy some Sudan from you.if you guys wanna follow him on ig and see the progress @tonymontanatortoiseoffical.
What a ridiculous post. I don’t think anyone on this forum would sell to you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcatas should never have fruit. And if this person can provide grass and other "natural" foods, there is no reason buy grocery store greens that are not as good for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, I don’t think sulcatas would be tropical, because they stand out too well, so not likely, and if your tort likes the pellets, then that is okay even though It is for other tortoises. And maybe check the ingredients fo the mazuri and see if it is okay for your tort
Sulcatas ARE tropical. They come from the tropics. Between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Tropic of Cancer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is certainly possible to get sulcata babies to survive living outside. I've done it myself. This is often recommended in warmer climates by ignorant people who don't know better and are either parroting other people's wrong advice, or by people who are just looking for the answer they want to hear. When I did it back in the 90's, several "experts" incorrectly explained to me that this was the best way to house them and prevent pyramiding. They were very wrong, they were ignorant (and so was I), it didn't work, but the babies all survived.

Babies universally do better indoors. Climate and temperatures outside don't matter. In truly tropical areas like the Philippines, Southeast Asia, Hawaii, and even in their native range, outside all day and night isn't good for them. If the OP were to get 12 clutch mate hatchlings from the same source at the same time and raise 6 outdoors the way he is raising this one, and 6 indoors in a proper closed chamber as I recommend, the difference would be obvious in less than a month. By 6-12 months the difference would be astounding. The OP doesn't know or understand this because he's never done this and chooses to remain intentionally, willfully ignorant, and ignore the advice of people who have done these experiments, collaborated with other keepers all over the world that have done these experiments, and DO know better.

For everyone who is upset about this, you have to let it go. You can't save the world. Try to make your voice heard. Try to get the right info across. Then, let it go. This truth has been a hard pill for me to swallow on many occasions. The OP has no idea what he's doing or what he's talking about, but at least he's trying to do what he thinks is right. He's not going to listen to any of us. He's doing a good job of feeding this tortoise, and the baby will probably survive this treatment, even though we all know it would do better inside. Other keepers in FL did make the change to indoor housing after some convincing, and all of them have been amazed at how much better their babies started doing after the change. Some people just have to learn the hard way. At least he's not keeping it indoors in a 10 gallon tank, on rabbit pellets with a red heat bulb on 24/7. He's not intentionally abusing or neglecting the animal. He doing what he thinks is right, and he clearly means well and loves his tortoise. He just doesn't know better, and some people are just not "wired" to listen to others.

@sudanesesulcata The Mazuri 5M21 is an good supplemental food for any tortoise of any species. But realize that it is not "necessary" when you are able to feed your tortoise so many other good things. The LS version is also a good supplemental food, but it will take more time and effort to introduce your tortoise to it and get him to eat it.

I do listen 100% of the "professional advice " but i take what applies to me .
My issue is that you don't understand what does and doesn't apply to you, and you refuse to listen to people that do. I cannot, in good conscience, sell you a baby tortoise if you intend to house it the way you are housing this one. I won't sell to anyone who intends to house a baby that way, because I know that its not good for them. I think if you built a proper temperature controlled night enclosure, a larger juvenile that is ready to live outside full time would do well with you. I'd be fine sending you a large juvenile or adult after you'd constructed and set up the correct type of night shelter.

Florida
Is all right tom i still believe he is doing good and he is making progress on his shell remember how pyramid he was about to get when i first show you ?. I wanna keep doing it this way . it may be the plastic and the substrate i believe but temperature and humidity remains stable probably not like indoors but is working if not 100% pretty close to that .mi intención coming back here was to show you all the progress that he made already. I be talking with some experienced breeders here in Florida in person and watching their tortoise because in my opinion that's how you know that they are actually experienced some people say that yeah do this do that and when you see theirs tortoise looks like pyramids of giza but those where round shell and smooth and he advised me the same thing that im doing taking advantage of the beautiful tropical or almost tropical weather in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.