Is jungle mix okay for Russian tortoise ?

lcoakley96

Location (City and/or State)
Ayer massachusetts
I know that peat moss okay for Russian tortoise , but I saw on the back of the bag it says for tortoises and names the red toed tortoise not a Russian and I’ve read in research before that some stuff okay for red toed aren’t good for Russians, just want to make sure it’s okay !

I found the chart below on the Zilla website but still doesn’t say Russian

I also have cypress mulch mixed in.

Attachments

• 4291F8C4-8182-4CDD-822B-917DF2C6BF25.jpeg
    4291F8C4-8182-4CDD-822B-917DF2C6BF25.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 13

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I wouldn’t use any peat moss just stick with cypress mulch my Russian lives his. Easy to keep a 60% humidity without looking wet

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Even better because of the size of the chunks is Orchid bark from the Home Depot, etc.
I would not use moss.

Attachments

• 20191221_162920.jpg
    20191221_162920.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13

lcoakley96

Ayer massachusetts
I wouldn’t use any peat moss just stick with cypress mulch my Russian lives his. Easy to keep a 60% humidity without looking wet
I know that peat moss okay for Russian tortoise , but I saw on the back of the bag it says for tortoises and names the red toed tortoise not a Russian and I’ve read in research before that some stuff okay for red toed aren’t good for Russians, just want to make sure it’s okay !

there’s not just peat moss in the mix it’s just apart of it.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It is still an edible item and could be ingested thus requiring vet care if they become impacted. I have a tort vet nearby, but would not rather spend money on them when some simple choices up front could prevent it. Fine Fir bark, coco choir, cypress mulch, and the dirt from your yard(you know what you put in it) are all good choices.

jso

55*N, UK

Interesting that the chart suggests this “Jungle Mix” is acceptable for tortoises, but their Desert Mix isn’t. That alone suggests that the manufacturers are only thinking of certain species when they mention tortoises. There are some tortoises which might be perfectly ok with their “desert mix” - depending what’s in it, of course.
Beyond that, if it mentions red toed tortoises (redfoots?) on the back of the bag, then it probably wouldn’t be suitable for Russians. Redfoots and Russians come from such very different natural habitats!

lcoakley96

Ayer massachusetts
Interesting that the chart suggests this “Jungle Mix” is acceptable for tortoises, but their Desert Mix isn’t. That alone suggests that the manufacturers are only thinking of certain species when they mention tortoises. There are some tortoises which might be perfectly ok with their “desert mix” - depending what’s in it, of course.
Beyond that, if it mentions red toed tortoises (redfoots?) on the back of the bag, then it probably wouldn’t be suitable for Russians. Redfoots and Russians come from such very different natural habitats!

Yes that’s why I figured I’d ask ! , the previous owner who had her was using it so I didn’t want to totally switch up her entire habitat one day to the next , and the mix is with fine fir and peat moss so it’s not the large edible green stuff they might eat , it basically looks like dirt , I figured since she’s been in it for a while another month while I slowly transition her without it will be okay. it’s about 60% Cyprus mulch and 40% the jungle mix in her enclosure.

jso

55*N, UK
Yes that’s why I figured I’d ask ! , the previous owner who had her was using it so I didn’t want to totally switch up her entire habitat one day to the next , and the mix is with fine fir and peat moss so it’s not the large edible green stuff they might eat , it basically looks like dirt , I figured since she’s been in it for a while another month while I slowly transition her without it will be okay. it’s about 60% Cyprus mulch and 40% the jungle mix in her enclosure.
Sounds like you’re being very careful and considerate! We don’t have that stuff in the UK. We generally use a mix of natural soil and playsand, proportions varying according to species. (Different substrate for tropical species)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sounds like you’re being very careful and considerate! We don’t have that stuff in the UK. We generally use a mix of natural soil and playsand, proportions varying according to species. (Different substrate for tropical species)
We haven't used "play sand" in the hobby since the 80s.
I strongly recommend against it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any amount of sand or sphagnum moss should not be used as a tortoise substrate.

The best substrate for baby Russians is coco coir. For adults I prefer fine grade orchid bark.