Is it true? (about salmonella)

Embry Torts

Location (City and/or State)
Sachse, Tx
I'm a teacher and have had red eared sliders living in a tank in my room. Students have held them and I've never had an issue. Same with my 3-toed box turtle. As long as you provide a relatively clean environment to minimize bacteria growth and wash hands (and lips apparently) after handling them there shouldn't be a problem.

Oregon
You should never do that! Salmonella is dangerous! I had to go to the ER once because I was be an idiot about it once. This is not a lie. If salmonella gets into your body, it can really mess you up. It doesn’t affect you right away, but after a day or two you will feel very, very sick.

T

Trudy_the_tortoise

I didn't lick my tortoise, but my tortoise always finds a way to lick me. Is this OK behavior for tortoises or does it like what I taste like?

J

JenMorri88

I only keep plants in the aquarium that are useful for the turtle. I read on wikipedia about it. I mean, I know that she will eat them and that's why I put them there.

Sa Ga

MN
What species of tortoise?

Yes they will eat plants you put into an indoor enclosure.

Is what true? Can they carry salmonella? Yes they can. Any animal can. Salmonella is all over your phone, on your computer keyboard, and in most of the chicken you cook. How to control it? Wash your hands after touching your tortoise, or raw chicken, and don't lick either.

...but biting is fine, esp your computer keyboard.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
...but biting is fine, esp your computer keyboard.
I When I am drying Zola, after a soak, I feel a strong urge to kiss his cute puckered little vent. I haven't yet succumbed, but one day I'm sure I will. And I have "shared air " with him many times when I am holding him and his little face is right up against mine.
Angie

907tortoise

Anchorage
about the Salmonella and how do you control it if so? my new tortoise have a terrarium made with glass in hexagonal shape. Since i read that's not good i will change it to a longer and wider and deeper place. Also what plants are safe for him / her and that he wont eat the plants!?
I work in food service and my boss was freaked when I got a tortoise. “Don’t they carry salmonella?” Yes they do. I treat my tortoise like raw chicken, I always wash my hands after handling it. I don’t stop eating chicken, I just use precautions.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I work in food service and my boss was freaked when I got a tortoise. “Don’t they carry salmonella?” Yes they do. I treat my tortoise like raw chicken, I always wash my hands after handling it. I don’t stop eating chicken, I just use precautions.
welcome and don't kiss the tort either...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
welcome and don't kiss the tort either...
Now wait a minute on that one. If you kiss your clean finger you can plant a little kiss on your torts head. That's a win win. Neither of you get contaminated 😁 and the tort gets a little pat on the head.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I learned not to kiss any reptile when I was about 9 years old! I kissed a turtle and man! It bit my lip and would not let got until I shook real hard!😂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now wait a minute on that one. If you kiss your clean finger you can plant a little kiss on your torts head. That's a win win. Neither of you get contaminated 😁 and the tort gets a little pat on the head.
I like how you wisely included the word "clean" in describing the finger in question. :)