Is it time to bring my (6-8 month old) hatchlings indoors?

Location (City and/or State)
El Paso, TX
In case you don't know, I have two young (about half a year old) western box turtles (terrapene ornata) which are outside in a 4' x 8' enclosure. Here in El Paso, TX it is in the mid 80s all day and mid 50s at night. They have a foot of loose ground to dig themselves into, but I find that they only sleep around 2-3 inches deep. I feed them purely insects and calcium since they are juveniles and not yet herbivorous.
The reason I ask if I should bring them inside is that I find that one of the turtles is sleeping out in the open for most part of the day. I wonder if it is sick or not. And if the weather has something to do with that. I noticed when I wake it up, it takes a while to open the eyes. I will do whatever is necessary to make sure it is not sick because that is extremely cruel.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
sounds like they are slowing down for winter/hibernation but aren't ready just yet.. Temps here are very similar to those right now, and some of mine have already dug in and a few are doing the same as yours.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's relieving. I'll just make sure they have as much food as they need then. Thanks for the reply!
Don't be surprised if they don't eat, Mine won't touch anything right now. Those young ones are very delicate the first year of hibernation so make sure they get plenty of water and soak them very often this time of year. Are you planning to hibernate them?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Don't be surprised if they don't eat, Mine won't touch anything right now. Those young ones are very delicate the first year of hibernation so make sure they get plenty of water and soak them very often this time of year. Are you planning to hibernate them?

I second what Craig is saying. Actually having food in their system while going down for hibernation can cause Problems during the process. Keeping them hydrated is most important. Personally I wouldn't hibernate them due to their age but that is my opinion. Good luck!

El Paso, TX
Ok sounds good. This is awesome I'm learning a lot. They have a pond to bask in but I still force them to soak in a tub of water daily. How can I avoid hibernating them?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Ok sounds good. This is awesome I'm learning a lot. They have a pond to bask in but I still force them to soak in a tub of water daily. How can I avoid hibernating them?
You will need to set them up inside with an indoor enclosure. They are probably very small at that age so they won't need a big enclosure and they can be kept together. Look at the caresheets on the box turtle section and you can find all the info you need. I have 3 hatchlings and 2 yearlings inside set up for the winter. Box turtles are very easy to keep indoors, especially the small ones.

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Baldwin Co, Alabama
I've had 5 hatchlings do just fine hibernating on their own outside. They are now 3 years old and slowing down for the season.
As long as they are healthy, you really don't have to bring them in. You already have loose ground for them, so just pile on some yard waste on top and they will be good to go.
I have about a foot of oak leaves and pine straw piled on top of the dirt and mulch mine like to dig down in. Saw one of the little ones poking his head out this morning checking on the weather