Is it Radiated or Radiata??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
What is the proper way to spell this species? I have seen on this site and kingsnake both ways?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Radiated tortoise is the common name. Astrochelys radiata is the scientific name. Either one is fine to use. :)

Danny

dae

5 Year Member
Hi,

Yes as Dan said I use both. I use the common name when speaking to my friends etc and I call them Radiata to my breeder as that is what he calls them. So both are correct.

I just always feel a bit wierd saying Radiata to my friends, when I told my husband that I was going to get some radiata tortoises he had all sorts of images going through his head about flat retangular corrugated tortoises emitting vast amounts of heat. He looked puzzled for about 15 mins until he finally asked me why I would want a tortoise that looks like a radiator!!!!

Lol

Dae

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hey!

Is it Sulcatas or just Sulcata for more-than-one-Bob?

(You know, like datum/data, symposium/symposia, octopus/octopi, doofus/doofi)? :D

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
Stephanie Logan said:
Is it Sulcatas or just Sulcata for more-than-one-Bob?

Whether you are using sulcata as in the scientific name G. sulcata or the common name, sulcata also serves as the plural. However, using the common name African Spur-Thigh Tortoise, would be " " tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.