Is it ok to use super glue or something like gorilla glue on a sulcata's shell

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
The new tile discs look like they don’t replace, but with superglue nail polish remover is the unlock

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How did you remove it later when the batteries ran out?
You could slip some fishing line or wire under it and pull it across. Itll cut right through the silicone. The same way a cars windshield is replaced.
I've also never glued anything to a tortoise. But I have a lot of experience with adhesives. A lot of the adhesives that have a catalyst get hot when they are curing.
I use MARINE TEX epoxy for a lot of applications and I've seen smoke come off of it before.
I would maybe use J.B WELD. It has decent adhesive properties and CAN be removed later. It also only gets warm when it cures.
Super glue doesn't have the contact surface area of epoxies and silicone because it is too thin. You wind up with whatever you've glued only affixed to the high spots of the item. Very few things are perfectly flat.
I like the aquarium silicone idea for a less permanent job. It is air dried. Makes a strong bond and can be easily removed. But not accidentally.
Then JB WELD for a semi permanent job.
Both of these would survive daily tortoise activities. Not harm the animal and be waterproof and not prone to sunlight degradation.
This is IF I had to attach something to the center of a scute of a turtle or tortoise.
Again. I've never actually done this.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Way back in the dark ages when the only tortoises I rescued were desert tortoises, I used to advise people to attach one of their mailing address labels in the middle of a scute then paint over it with clear nail polish. This had to be replaced frequently, as it isn't a permanent fixture, but it works, and you should choose an area on the shell that doesn't get much wear and tear.