is it ok to house cheery head with burmese brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeh

5 Year Member
IMG_20130614_112913_829.jpgIMG_20130614_113250_799.jpgHi,
I am new here. Would like some input from experienced keepers. I have two Burmese Brown mountain torts that are just under 4" and I am considering getting a 3" cherry head. Could I house them together since they seem to have similar habitat and diet needs. The burmese are housed in a closed 2x4 chamber. I included pics. Temps are at 85F-88F on warm side 80F on cool side during the bay with basking spot at 95F, and 75F at night. Unusual for there guys but they like it very warm, always under basking light or seeking warm spots. Humidity is constant 80-85%, close to 95% in the hide.
5.0 UVB 15" above their shell on one side of enclosure. 50W basking bulb and under substrate cord heater. There are few plants and plenty of shade/darker areas. Its not as bright in there as the pic shows.
Any input anf advice would be appreciated regarding if this is suitable and if the Burmese will be ok with cherry head with them and vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Although some people have done it, mixing species-especially with a rare one like manouria emys- is generally not recommended for sizes, parasites, behaviour, hybrids etc.

abclements

5 Year Member
I agree with clients. While, yes, the environment is similar, I would still advise against it. Long story short, there could be diseases that could get transferred and one-all of them could get sick and die. While it might not happen, I just don't think it's worth the risk. Plus a 4x2 is getting on the small side for your 2 torts and adding a third to that mix could cause even more problems with stress and competition for food and hides and things of that nature.

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

By clients I meant flintus lol

mikeh

5 Year Member
Thank you both for your input, it is much appreciated.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Let me tell you in Spanish. NO!! LOL :cool:

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I love your enclosure. And i would say no to mixing as all tortoises pick up different disease etc and all species have different immune systems due to where they originate from.

abclements

5 Year Member
Re: RE: is it ok to house cheery head with burmese brown?

Millerlite said:
Why not just get another Redfooted tortoise?

He has 2 Buramese right now and is looking to put a cherry in with them.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Thanks for the compliment Tyler. I wanted to build something self contained and pleasing to the eye. I will write a post on how I built it.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Ha, these two are great but I wanted to add some color of you know what I mean.:) Do yours constantly bask like mine?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Red footed tortoises will def. add color, and have great personalities, you would have To build a separate enclosure but well worth it. My mt tortoises bask sometimes but not as much as other tortoises

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Oudoor eclosure New addition 002.JPGOudoor eclosure New addition 003.JPGIn that enclosure i would say no.
The bermese browns likes to roam & adding a third tort of any species would be crowded in a 4x2 enclosure ,
With that being said i house 6 redfoots & 2 bermese browns in my outdoor enclosure which is 21ft x 18 ft with no issues .
My torts are from 3 to 5 yrs old & visit vet yearly for anual fecal examines .
In the winter my redfoots are homed in a 4'x8' tortoise tables & the bermese browns are housed in a 4'x3' seperate enclosure in the garage.
Mike D.

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
You should never mix different species..they carry different parasites. It is not recommend..

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Re: RE: is it ok to house cheery head with burmese brown?

mikeh said:
Thanks for the compliment Tyler. I wanted to build something self contained and pleasing to the eye. I will write a post on how I built it.

I'd love to see a post on how you built it, with photos! It looks great!

- Rebekah

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.