Is it normal that a tortoise urines a lot???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello all

I went to the vet today with my tortoise (Hermann tortoise, 10 months old) I told the vet she urines a lot (well about once a day but a big quantity). She told me that maybe she has a problem with her kidney :(. I have to go back next week for a blood test :(. Does anyone of you have ever seen a tortoise that urines a lot? I'm really scared, I want my tortoise to be ok :(.

Thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, my torts do not urinate a lot unless they are stressed a lot. I would follow the vets advice and let her check to make sure your little one is not suffering from kidney damage, or something. I know it is really scary but that is part of pet ownership of any kind. The reality is pitfalls and elations. Did you ask the vet what the popping/ hiccupping/wheezing sound was? Perhaps a culture with the blood test, or maybe the blood test alone may be able to tell her what is going on. I will be thinking good thoughts for you and your little shelled baby.
Please keep us updated.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa, my torts do not urinate a lot unless they are stressed a lot. I would follow the vets advice and let her check to make sure your little one is not suffering from kidney damage, or something. I know it is really scary but that is part of pet ownership of any kind. The reality is pitfalls and elations. Did you ask the vet what the popping/ hiccupping/wheezing sound was? Perhaps a culture with the blood test, or maybe the blood test alone may be able to tell her what is going on. I will be thinking good thoughts for you and your little shelled baby.
Please keep us updated.

Hello

Yesterday they made a throat culture to see if there is any bacterias. They will tell me the resutls by the end of the week. I will have to wait till next week for the blood test because the vet that could be able to take a blood test to my little tortoise is in vacancion. She is very small (90g) and the other vets are not comfortable with that because they dont want to hurt her for nothing. I hope she is going to be ok. I only have her since 2 months but she is already part of the family.

Thanks a lot for your asnwer

Isa

Status
Not open for further replies.