Is it normal for babies to have a softer shell?

destortoise

Location (City and/or State)
VA and WA
Everything in the title...

My baby has a pretty soft and pliable shell and it worries me. S/he is about 3~4 months old. Red-foot

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Young tortoises have a shell that is almost like a freshly backed bun. It is a bit compressable. Just make sure her diet, light and humidity is right and there shouldn't be a problem. I do not own a red foot so other people will tell you what the proper diet, light and humidity is for them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes a soft leathery shell is normal. It will harden up with time calcuum and sunsgine

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Here's a tip from a bad experience of mine, I had a baby sulcata many many years ago. And we had an outdoor enclosure for him, but thought hey he has a shell hell be ok, and didn't cover it to protect it from predators. Well one day, we heard a scrub jay squacking like the little devils they are, and we ran outside, I saw my box turtle upside down out of his enclosure and my russian running. The box turtle and Russain had war wounds. But my sulcata was a baby named scooter and I named him scooter because he ran around in circles around his house, like running laps. He was so active and friendly. But the bird got him and pecked his she'll in and I patched him up, and cared for him as he passed. Worst experience I've gone through with torts. It was horrible and it haunts me to this day. And ever since I make sure my enclosures are fully protected from any kind of predator. I learned the hard way that day.

Shells take time to develop and get strong enough to withstand something like that, my others were fine just with wounds but still. Even for my older ones now I make sure they are safe and so they don't have to worry and so they don't get hurt. Because even the older ones still felt it and it hurt.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I agree, with correct diet, calcium and uvb it will harden as she gets older.