Is it just beak breaking off or a bigger issue ?

16rash

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
Hi ..I am posting a picture of my hermann tortoise , Eddy..i noticed couple of weeks ago that Eddy's beak is starting to break off from one side (he had a small crack when we got him years ago)..i thought it will fell off on its own but it been days and it is just hanging..i am not sure if it is painful for him...getting Vet's appointment is very difficult these days, seeking advise form the expert what should i do?

20200329_155840.jpg20200329_155835.jpg20200329_155830.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . and THIS is the danger of allowing the beak to get overgrown and NOT take care of it. Pretty soon that overgrown top beak will also break off, and when it does it will break up in the "quick", and will be VERY painful for him.

Both the top and bottom beak need attention immediately. If you don't think you can do it then take the tortoise to a tortoise-qualified vet.

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks for the response.i am looking for urgent vet appointment to get his beak trimmed. i am new to Cleveland, Ohio. would anyone recommend any tortoise qualified vet ?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I don't know any vets to recommend, but it isn't super hard to do. Just get a chisel or something and rub it down. Be careful. It'll save you time and money.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the response.i am looking for urgent vet appointment to get his beak trimmed. i am new to Cleveland, Ohio. would anyone recommend any tortoise qualified vet ?
I just re-read my response and it sounds pretty stern. I didn't mean to sound that way at all. First of all, look in the phone book for vets that are near you, then give them a call and ask if they've ever trimmed a tortoise's beak before, explaining that it's VERY overgrown.

We have a list of vets on the Forum, but we don't have personal experience with them unless we've heard from a member that they're good ones for tortoises.

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
I don't know any vets to recommend, but it isn't super hard to do. Just get a chisel or something and rub it down. Be careful. It'll save you time and money.
Hi Thank you for responding ..neither I nor my husband has done the beak trimming before..so considering that we would probably get the trimming done thru Vet first and may be we will take care of trimming periodically...thanks again !

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hi Thank you for responding ..neither I nor my husband has done the beak trimming before..so considering that we would probably get the trimming done thru Vet first and may be we will take care of trimming periodically...thanks again !

Dr. Donato at Radnor Veterinary Hospital has been great - I know it might be a little of a drive from Wilmington, but if you don't have another vet in mind I would check them out: http://www.radnorvet.com/

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
I just re-read my response and it sounds pretty stern. I didn't mean to sound that way at all. First of all, look in the phone book for vets that are near you, then give them a call and ask if they've ever trimmed a tortoise's beak before, explaining that it's VERY overgrown.

We have a list of vets on the Forum, but we don't have personal experience with them unless we've heard from a member that they're good ones for tortoises.

I completely understand your response.i am kind of scared now and feeling bad that this had happened due to my carelessness :( .
I did request an appointment at MetroPet clinic as well Robert & Wendth Clinic . Both clinics mentioned that they do perform beak/nail trimming for Exotic pets and i have also left a note with details of overgrown beak. Just hoping to get an appointment for next week (which seems to very unlikely looking at state shutdown/Virus sitaution) .

I do have one more question - Should i continue to feed him OR wait until the beak gets trimmed ? he is kind of restless due to move from Delaware to Ohio and not eating from 2-3 days anyways . will eating worsen the beak situation ?

appreciate your response .Thank you!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I completely understand your response.i am kind of scared now and feeling bad that this had happened due to my carelessness :( .
I did request an appointment at MetroPet clinic as well Robert & Wendth Clinic . Both clinics mentioned that they do perform beak/nail trimming for Exotic pets and i have also left a note with details of overgrown beak. Just hoping to get an appointment for next week (which seems to very unlikely looking at state shutdown/Virus sitaution) .

I do have one more question - Should i continue to feed him OR wait until the beak gets trimmed ? he is kind of restless due to move from Delaware to Ohio and not eating from 2-3 days anyways . will eating worsen the beak situation ?

appreciate your response .Thank you!
It won't worsen it immediately it takes months for the beak to grow. You should probably continue feeding

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Dr. Donato at Radnor Veterinary Hospital has been great - I know it might be a little of a drive from Wilmington, but if you don't have another vet in mind I would check them out: http://www.radnorvet.com/
Hi..we are in Cleveland, Ohio (Did not realize my profile was not updated with current city )..so i am looking for good vet in Cleveland. thank for you response though !