is it a gopher tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinsmith

5 Year Member
this looks like a gopher tortoise but where not sure we found it in our yard so we put it in a big container

i need the awnser as soon as possible

Attachments

• chrissyCamera 051.jpg
    chrissyCamera 051.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 110
  • chrissyCamera 052.jpg
    chrissyCamera 052.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 74
  • chrissyCamera 053.jpg
    chrissyCamera 053.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 60
  • chrissyCamera 054.jpg
    chrissyCamera 054.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 64

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
He looks a little like my Ca Desrt Torts. Where do you live(area)? Someone was be worried sick unles you live where he could be wild. He is adorable!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes it is a Gopher tortoise, Gopherus polyphemus. Now you need to let it back go in your yard. :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Colin:

I believe the gopher tortoise is a protected species in Florida. I'm not up on the regulations, however, it is probably illegal for you to bring the baby inside. Do you live in a rural area? Is there a wildlife expert you can call to find out what to do with the baby?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, if you're in a rural area, and not in a city, then I would just do what Danny suggested and place the baby safely under a bush outside where he can be free.

colinsmith

5 Year Member
thx we allready realeased him but there is a ghopher tortoise hole near us do you think we should put it there fyi we havent seen the mother/dad for a long time

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
yes, release him near the burrow. That way he will have a safe place to sleep at night away from dogs and other predators.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Tortoises don't care for their babies, so it is fine that you haven't seen a parent. Just put the little one near the hole. Then let him do his thing. They have good instincts and he will know what to do.

M

Maggie Cummings

And thanks for trying to help him. I sure wish I could see a wild tortoise in my yard!

lavender25

5 Year Member
Hi there,

Colin is my son, and yes we did set the little guy outside. amongst much weeping and wailing from the kids we put him by the bushes in our yard. he hung around for a day but we have not seen him since. I hope he will stick around I want to watch him grow.

And finding him has sparked a love for tortoises. We have made plans to get a red footed tortoise in sept when the next reptile fair comes to town. In the meantime we will be doing our research, and i will probably have many questions.
Thanks for your help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lavender25:

I may have already sent a welcome your way as Colinsmith, but I don't know if you're two people or one with two names, so here goes again:

Welcome to the forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.