Is his growth ok

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I have had my baby box turtle for about 9 months now and he is still really small. I do feed him daily and he is housed outside because I know how beneficial the uvb is to them. He mainly eats worms and pill bugs but I do give him a occasional cricket. I try to dust his food a few times a month and he I a very good eater. The first picture is from march and the second one is the current one I also put pictures of his habitat on here. If anybody has a idea why he is so small please tell me and if you have any advice for me that would be great. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408915535.663962.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408915546.140264.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408915585.155645.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408915611.544449.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408915632.961658.jpg

TortMomma

Does he eat the crickets? I have one a tad smaller than yours and she is just learning to hunt but doesn't like the crickets. She will eat a very small guppy from her water bowl every few weeks. Her favorites are meal worms or night crawlers cut up (usually into 4ths or more). She eats 2 meal worms a day (sometimes 3), or two worm sections.
I use to put her greens separate from the love insects but now I put them on top so she is more likely to grab some why she goes for the wiggly stuff she really enjoys. I chop all her greens very finely and smoosh things like berries or tomato. I try to offer a wide variety. I also add calcium every other day and soak her daily.
If your worried about her diet I would offer some soaked turtle/tortoise food (zoomed or mazuri) or maybe a soaked puppy milk bone.
Good luck! He's a cutie!!!

Mommy to:
Nevan- 8yr old human
Arden- Pappillon
Ella-Chihuahua
Toby-Tortoise shell cat
Tinka- Tabby cat
Rex- Ball python
Penny- Eastern Box turtle hatchling
Poppy- Russian tortoise

TortMomma

Also there's a really good recipe for a eastern box turtle hatchling meal on her under species specific/ turtles. Not sure how to link it. Maybe another member or admin can.

Mommy to:
Nevan- 8yr old human
Arden- Pappillon
Ella-Chihuahua
Toby-Tortoise shell cat
Tinka- Tabby cat
Rex- Ball python
Poppy- Russian tortoise

jeffstort

5 Year Member
Does he eat the crickets? I have one a tad smaller than yours and she is just learning to hunt but doesn't like the crickets. She will eat a very small guppy from her water bowl every few weeks. Her favorites are meal worms or night crawlers cut up (usually into 4ths or more). She eats 2 meal worms a day (sometimes 3), or two worm sections.
I use to put her greens separate from the love insects but now I put them on top so she is more likely to grab some why she goes for the wiggly stuff she really enjoys. I chop all her greens very finely and smoosh things like berries or tomato. I try to offer a wide variety. I also add calcium every other day and soak her daily.
If your worried about her diet I would offer some soaked turtle/tortoise food (zoomed or mazuri) or maybe a soaked puppy milk bone.
Good luck! He's a cutie!!!

Mommy to:
Nevan- 8yr old human
Arden- Pappillon
Ella-Chihuahua
Toby-Tortoise shell cat
Tinka- Tabby cat
Rex- Ball python
Poppy- Russian tortoise
He does eat the crickets it takes him awhile but his is able to catch them. When he was smaller and learning how to hunt I would put him and the cricket in a small Rubbermaid container. After a few months of that I would just put the cricket in the tank and he would hunt it and eat it with no problem. Also another good food for them to hunt down is pill bugs, they are a lot slower and easier to catch. And I also have some of that soaked food I will give it a try.

TortMomma

I'll have to try the pill bugs. She really went nuts over the guppies. She ate two a couple hours I put them in. I have noticed she eats a lot more when she's soaked daily vs just a few times a week.

Mommy to:
Nevan- 8yr old human
Arden- Pappillon
Ella-Chihuahua
Toby-Tortoise shell cat
Tinka- Tabby cat
Rex- Ball python
Poppy- Russian tortoise

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I'll have to try the pill bugs. She really went nuts over the guppies. She ate two a couple hours I put them in. I have noticed she eats a lot more when she's soaked daily vs just a few times a week.

Mommy to:
Nevan- 8yr old human
Arden- Pappillon
Ella-Chihuahua
Toby-Tortoise shell cat
Tinka- Tabby cat
Rex- Ball python
Poppy- Russian tortoise
I will definitely try guppies they sound like a good food source and easy to keep during the winter. It also seems like fun to watch them catch the guppies.

TortMomma

I've caught her a few times with the guppies but usually I put her food bowl under a half log. EBT ate very shy and don't like to eat out in the open. I had trouble getting her to eat when I first got her but someone suggested I try the half log and once I put her near it she goes right under and feasts now.

Mommy to:
Nevan- 8yr old human
Arden- Pappillon
Ella-Chihuahua
Toby-Tortoise shell cat
Tinka- Tabby cat
Rex- Ball python
Poppy- Russian tortoise

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I've caught her a few times with the guppies but usually I put her food bowl under a half log. EBT ate very shy and don't like to eat out in the open. I had trouble getting her to eat when I first got her but someone suggested I try the half log and once I put her near it she goes right under and feasts now.

Mommy to:
Nevan- 8yr old human
Arden- Pappillon
Ella-Chihuahua
Toby-Tortoise shell cat
Tinka- Tabby cat
Rex- Ball python
Poppy- Russian tortoise
I did notice when I first got him he didn't like to eat in front of me and I wish I knew about the half log a long time ago. But now he is comfortable around me and he will go right go his feeding rock every time I go by his tank

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
They grow at different rates. If he's eating, soaking, and active I wouldn't worry too much about it. Try to start offering foods other than proteins. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I chop up fruits and veggies into very tiny bits, place a small amount on a plastic lid, then put the animal protein (worms, bugs, etc) on top of the chopped up food. They get a bit of fruit and veggie when biting at the animal protein and eventually gain a taste for it and will eat it on its own merit.

TortMomma

I chop up fruits and veggies into very tiny bits, place a small amount on a plastic lid, then put the animal protein (worms, bugs, etc) on top of the chopped up food. They get a bit of fruit and veggie when biting at the animal protein and eventually gain a taste for it and will eat it on its own merit.

That's what I do.

Mommy to:
Nevan- 8yr old human
Arden- Pappillon
Ella-Chihuahua
Toby-Tortoise shell cat
Tinka- Tabby cat
Rex- Ball python
Poppy- Russian tortoise