Is he trying to hibernate?

tortoisekev

Location (City and/or State)
UK
So I have no intention of hibernating Kevin this year. He’s only 3 and I’ve only had him a few months, plus I don’t intend on breeding (especially assuming he is definitely a he!).

Anyway, today I found him buried down under his light... normally he’ll bury himself into a corner or under a pot when he goes to sleep, but not in the middle of the day when his light is on!

It’s not exactly cold (it’s the UK, but it’s a toasting 29*C at the warm end and 21*C at the cool end.

So is this him trying to hibernate or just having an afternoon ziz under the warmth of the light?!

IMG_0637.jpg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Tortoises that hunker down near basking spots can be a sign that the enclosure is not warm enough for them. Try to raise your cool side to at least 75-85F for the time being. Repositioning your lighting fixture will accomplish this.

A common problem with open enclosures is that the ambient temperatures inside a home will always affect them in some way.

tortoisekev

UK
The temp is already 75-90F (we use Celsius over here, but 85F is 29C which the hot end is. Cold end rarely goes below 68F).

Well he’s up and racing around now enjoying his food, cuttlefish bone and making a right ol mess through his water dish!

I’d guess he got cold for a bit and buried himself a bit. I’ll just make sure it continues to stay warm.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
The temp is already 75-90F (we use Celsius over here, but 85F is 29C which the hot end is. Cold end rarely goes below 68F).

Well he’s up and racing around now enjoying his food, cuttlefish bone and making a right ol mess through his water dish!

I’d guess he got cold for a bit and buried himself a bit. I’ll just make sure it continues to stay warm.

I usually leave the converting to the original poster and have them figure it out since these figures can easily be accomplished with the use of a typical search engine.

The warm side, is closest to the heating fixture you understand. The cool side, isn't. A 70-75F cool side during the day is usually the minimum suggested. Some tortoises, young and old may require more, especially those that have a history of getting respiratory infections. This is why some people will recommend colder region owners to have a ceramic heat emitter on hand for periods in the year that do get uncomfortable cold.