Is he/she fertile

Ricki

Good morning everyone, I have 2 gorgeous spur theighs and in July my little lady decide to dig down and burry eggs, since then I have incubated them and and have temp of 30c and humidity of 75% it's now day 90 so I decided to candle them to see how far our progress was and was quite shocked to only see this,is this a possible tortoise or is it the gas and he's gonna blow, I'm from Dorset uk. All advice great fully received. These eggs don't get touched or turned in any way.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Peach

Good morning Ricki and welcome to our site, everyone on here is so nice and is always willing to help. :)

Ricki

There is a double air bubble at the top of the egg to, plus it don't smell or hasn't cracked and if anything it got whiter!

Peach

What I have learnt mate is if it don't smell or hasn't cracked leave it alone, chances are its fertile but just slow developing.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Ricki,
Welcome to the forum - you'll find the best up to date information on all aspects of tort keeping from keepers all over the world here.
I can't help with your question as don't have any experience of tortoise eggs but maybe if you posted it in the Tortoise Breeding thread as well more people would see your question.
Wouldn't it be exciting to have hatchlings? Hope you are lucky.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
P.s we would love to hear more about your torts and see some pics if you have any you can share.

Ricki

Good morning everyone, I have 2 gorgeous spur theighs and in July my little lady decide to dig down and burry eggs, since then I have incubated them and and have temp of 30c and humidity of 75% it's now day 90 so I decided to candle them to see how far our progress was and was quite shocked to only see this,is this a possible tortoise or is it the gas and he's gonna blow, I'm from Dorset uk. All advice great fully received. These eggs don't get touched or turned in any way.there also seems to be double air bubble at top.
Attached Files:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 4

Peach

Sorry, can't help ya I'm in the learning process to, if there is any thing I have learnt, that's if it don't smell or cracked then leave it alone as it may be a slow developer. good luck tho,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

It really doesn't look like there's anything in there.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Ricki
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443880653.315287.jpg
I have a pic that will say it all . Cause no one wants to give up on a egg cause there is a chance when they throw the egg out they will find it had a baby tort in it . So just wait .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443880873.236496.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Often first clutches are not fertile. I'd let those eggs incubate until they pop or rot, because you never know.

My greater concern is how you are housing your tortoises. A lone female should not be housed with a male. This is a recipe for disaster. Tortoises should not be housed in pairs. If you only have the two, they should be housed separately and put together for supervised breeding visits in the spring and fall.

Ricki

My torts are separate but sadly my mum let both out at same time and there got up to no good, if I candle and take picture of other two can you tell me what you think, I don't want to give up hope, I wasn't expecting them but I certainly couldn't get rid of them so have done incubation, thing is I have grown attached to the eggs.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Ricki, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Good luck with those eggs, there's still a chance, but I'm guessing they're not fertile.
Wait and see (with fingers crossed.)

Ricki

Here is another one of my eggs... Fingers and toes everything is crossed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 5

Ricki

Here's eggs 3....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg