Is he a African helmet head (african side neck)

tortmommy

Location (City and/or State)
Ny
IMG_0651.jpgIMG_0650.jpg

I got him/ her yesterday these are the photos I took when she was in the travel box. I think the turtle is a girl. Is this a African helmet head?

south12_9

Chicago
It looks like a African sideneck...
Where did you get her from...
Does she have short front claws and a small stubby tail...

Last edited by a moderator:

tortmommy

Ny
Her claws are short I can’t really see the tail as it’s in the shell and I got her from PetSmart I finally found a store that had her

south12_9

Chicago
Her claws are short I can’t really see the tail as it’s in the shell and I got her from PetSmart I finally found a store that had her
Thats Awareness ( But Not a Fan of Pet Smart )... Really Happy 4 you Hope a long Happy spoiled life with your new Shell baby..

tortmommy

Ny
I don’t have any other pet stores around that carry turtles and tortoises and I plan on spoiling him just as much as my tort just trying to figure out how to set her tank up

south12_9

Chicago
I don’t have any other pet stores around that carry turtles and tortoises and I plan on spoiling him just as much as my tort just trying to figure out how to set her tank up
This is our RES Big Sexy's tank...
55G tank
Turtle topper
Fluval 110 Filter
Fluval 200e Heater
60g Power Head
Air pump
2 LED light bar hood
1 LED little light bar
1 Clip on work light 1534094089612.jpeg

tortmommy

Ny
How does the turtle topper work I looked it up and it says fits up to a 55 gallon is it adjustable for smaller tanks? Also I have gravel In mine should I put sand in the bottom instead?

south12_9

Chicago
Thanks & the Turtle Topper just sits on top of the tank... My best advice is do your research and have Fun... What might work for me might not work for you but it might work for somebody else... You're a Tort owner you know how things can get very pricey.. But have fun & I'm looking forward to see what you come up with for your shell baby.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
How does the turtle topper work I looked it up and it says fits up to a 55 gallon is it adjustable for smaller tanks? Also I have gravel In mine should I put sand in the bottom instead?
Looks like an African Sideneck. You can build your own turtle topper too. You probably want to get rid of the gravel some turtles eat it. I use river rock. This is mine
20180812_155857.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm not a turtle expert, but our PetSmart carries African Side-Necked turtles, so that's my guess, too.

I agree that gravel isn't good- they can accidentally ingest it and get impacted.
I used sand but regretted it when I added some ghost shrimp and guppies: the sand will make it nearly impossible to keep nitrates down which is bad for the animals. The turtles are somewhat more tolerant of imperfect water parameters, but the shrimp all died pretty quickly and the guppies got sick.
I replaced the sand with something called "calico rock" (or stone, I forget) from Home Depot or Lowe's. You buy it by the bag, and it's pretty cheap but I really had to rinse it a lot and pick out the smallest stones, keeping the ones that were at least 1/2 inch in diameter.

And I agree with south 12_9: read, read, read!!!! Research!!!! Ask questions!!!!!!
I read all over this forum and asked tons of questions for 8 months before I ever got my first tortoise or turtle, because I kept reading that people were advised to BE PREPARED before bringing an animal home. I'm really glad I learned a bunch first- although we're ALWAYS learning from our critters!!! :):<3:

south12_9

Chicago
I'm not a turtle expert, but our PetSmart carries African Side-Necked turtles, so that's my guess, too.

I agree that gravel isn't good- they can accidentally ingest it and get impacted.
I used sand but regretted it when I added some ghost shrimp and guppies: the sand will make it nearly impossible to keep nitrates down which is bad for the animals. The turtles are somewhat more tolerant of imperfect water parameters, but the shrimp all died pretty quickly and the guppies got sick.
I replaced the sand with something called "calico rock" (or stone, I forget) from Home Depot or Lowe's. You buy it by the bag, and it's pretty cheap but I really had to rinse it a lot and pick out the smallest stones, keeping the ones that were at least 1/2 inch in diameter.

And I agree with south 12_9: read, read, read!!!! Research!!!! Ask questions!!!!!!
I read all over this forum and asked tons of questions for 8 months before I ever got my first tortoise or turtle, because I kept reading that people were advised to BE PREPARED before bringing an animal home. I'm really glad I learned a bunch first- although we're ALWAYS learning from our critters!!! :):<3:
OMG a Woman that actually admit's I'm right for once..... [emoji312][emoji323][emoji313]Lmao[emoji323][emoji324][emoji312]... Sorry about that I couldn't help myself[emoji217][emoji217][emoji217][emoji12]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
OMG a Woman that actually admit's I'm right for once..... [emoji312][emoji323][emoji313]Lmao[emoji323][emoji324][emoji312]... Sorry about that I couldn't help myself[emoji217][emoji217][emoji217][emoji12]
HAHAHA!!!! :D:D:D
...and your avatar is HILARIOUS!!!!! :)

jake91hall

Windsor Ontario canada
you should put sand. your turtle may end up swallowing a pebble of gravel and it could cause big problems if it gets lodged somehow and the turtle can't poop it out