Is Exo Terra UVB 100, 13W, 5.0 Compact, good for my 1 year old spur tighed tortoise to bask on?

xenaiflare

Location (City and/or State)
Doha
I recently bought this bulb (Exo Terra UVB 100, 13W, 5.0 COMPACT ), cuz I was in so much need for a uv bulb for my 1 year old spur tighed tortoise. I was told in the shop that it's fine, but checked in the internet it's not. Had no time left and ended up siding with the shop without further research. Can anyone here tell me and confirm if this bulb is fine to use and gives enough UVB, calcium all those sorts for my 1 year old Tortoise?

index.jpgindex1.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I recently bought this bulb (Exo Terra UVB 100, 13W, 5.0 COMPACT ), cuz I was in so much need for a uv bulb for my 1 year old spur tighed tortoise. I was told in the shop that it's fine, but checked in the internet it's not. Had no time left and ended up siding with the shop without further research. Can anyone here tell me and confirm if this bulb is fine to use and gives enough UVB, calcium all those sorts for my 1 year old Tortoise?

NO that is not a good choice. The compact fluorescents put out very minimal UVB and in a very tight area. So totally unsuited for tortoises. Because the area of UVI you would want is so small, to get the tortoise that level of UVI, the bulb would be so close as to allow the tortoise to easily get too close and damage eyes, etc. A long tube UVB bulb is the only choice really good for tortoises.

xenaiflare

Doha
Where is Doha?
Are you not able to find a T5 UVB strip lamp locally?
Also, ALL pet shops want to sell you what they sell. Too bad a lot of it is pure garbage. Like those CFLs.
1) No, sadly i wasnt able to find other ones. The only one they sell around my area are just those exo terra bulb and those black
omaykey uv bulb. I could search more but the other reliable pet shop are like 1-2 hours away from my home, but my parents wont drive me there until the next 3 months.. 2) Doha is in qatar

Last edited:

xenaiflare

Doha
NO that is not a good choice. The compact fluorescents put out very minimal UVB and in a very tight area. So totally unsuited for tortoises. Because the area of UVI you would want is so small, to get the tortoise that level of UVI, the bulb would be so close as to allow the tortoise to easily get too close and damage eyes, etc. A long tube UVB bulb is the only choice really good for tortoises.
Well damn. I cant buy another bulb for the next three months (my parent's reasons), and also they dont sell other kind of bulb around my area other than this bulb (OMAYKEY, i believe). I saw them use this black bulb for turtles basking. Is this alright for my spur tighed tortoise to bask on?

Attachments

• 41uJ8Dor5AL.jpg
    41uJ8Dor5AL.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Well damn. I cant buy another bulb for the next three months (my parent's reasons), and also they dont sell other kind of bulb around my area other than this bulb (OMAYKEY, i believe). I saw them use this black bulb for turtles basking. Is this alright for my spur tighed tortoise to bask on?
Those are fine for providing heat.
Are you able to let your tortoise outside in a secure area for an hour or so every day or two?
He can get REAL UVB from the sun this way and you can go as long as you need without any other UVB source.
The sun is by far the best source, anyway.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

That black bulb is a heat emitter. Not good for basking at all but used for maintaining ambient heat. A regular incandescent (old style bulb, not the new LED) is best for a baking bulb. It puts out heat and light and the tortoise used both heat and light to stimulate basking.

For UVB, as @ZEROPILOT stated above, outdoor sun is best. I assume the location you list (Doha) is the Doha in Quatar. You should be able to use natural sunlight easily year-round. Just 30 minutes a few times a week will work fine. Also, much of the commercial pellet tortoise food has vitamin D3 in it. That will also replace the need for a dedicated UVB light.