is everything ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelly83

5 Year Member
Hi, just want to check I have this all right as I am quiet nervous about getting it all wrong so its quiet a lot to say sorry :( i have 2 torts (testudo greaca) and have only had them since Friday, I am a first time owner, my tank has a uvb light on 12 hours (12 till 12) in the hot side its about 90f, directly under the light its 110f and in the cooler side its about 75f, it never seems to drop below 65f on a night time when the light is off and the humidity is 75, (I use a exo-terra thermometer and hygrometer that is on the floor of the cage) they have bark on one half of the cage and coco substrate the other half, which has been damp since I put it in on Friday, they eat 1 meal a day in the evening and I give them a mix of watercress, rocket, frisse, radicchio and lambs lettuce and gollwoog and a cuttle fish left in they have fresh water and a hide with hay underneath it, they are soaked everyday for about 15 mins. any advice on what is wrong would be great as this is what the pet shop told me and I have researched but get conflicting information and I want to make sure they are healthy and I am looking after them right, also the pet shop said they could have banana or fruit 1 a week? I have noticed that one of my torts sneezes and a few bubbles come out his nose.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
Temps and humidity seem a bit high to me, humidity should be 40-60% and the basking spot should be closer to 100. I would not give any fruit at all since it contains so much sugar. The tortoise with the bubbles coming out of its nose might have a respiratory infection. I would separate them and keep the temps up for the sick one, but let the humidity drop some.

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
I would also remove the hay because it will mildew very quickly and lead to additional health problems. And, most importantly, keep asking questions. There are very knowledgable people on this forum that can help you along your journey with your new friends.

kelly83

5 Year Member
sounds silly but dose that mean my humidity gage should be on the 50?? I am presuming that means % on this gage? and how do I reduce the humidty by making my heat lamp higher as this hould reduce the heat temps too right?? sorry :)

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
LOL. You gauge should be between 40 and 60, raise the heat lamp, and if you have any kind of cover on the tank remove it. I would also put a fan nearby to help with air circulation, which should reduce the humidity.

How big is your "tank"? it could be that there is too little room and one tortoise is bullying the other which might have caused stress and a respiratory infection.

kelly83

5 Year Member
I noticed the bubbling when we got them home, they were in a small glass tank with 3 others at the shop, and we bought a indoor rabbit hutch with plastic at top and bottom and a metal grill lid, I don't not te measurement without checking, it's lid is left off anyway so air can get in/out. Should I leave the heat on all day for a few days? And I can't separate them as I don't have another lamp or cage.

What signs would mean bullying?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I have never seen a rabbit hutch that was big enough for two tortoises. You will need something that is approximately 8' x 4' minimum for two. Leave the heat on for 14 hours a day. There are a lot of signs of bullying, one tortoise eating all the food, chasing the other tortoise around, biting or mounting, are obvious ones, however sometimes it is just in how the bullied tortoise acts, does he/she hide all the time, is he/she eating normally, is he/she loosing weight? These are just some, there are many, many more.

kelly83

5 Year Member
Thank you, they are not as big as my palm yet, I have an old bbookcase I plan to make into a table for them will check how big it is if not ill look sir something bigger, I have not notices them bite each other, or chase but they do climb on each other, and they will eat together, il keep a closer eye now, I have noticed however that one of them loves to clim and keeps claiming on the hide but she fell on her back as i was watchin them today, what can I add to provide safe climbing??

Status
Not open for further replies.