Is dry and peeling off skin normal?

wiktoria

My russian tortoise has a lil problem with his skin, he's 2 and a half and his skin is really dry. I give him a nice warm water bath 2 times a week and it looks fine but then after like 2 days it does dry and peels off again and suggestions please?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Up your humidity in your enclosure and do not pull it off.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
It is normal for torts to shed their skin. Keep soaking. Eventually it will shed what it is going to shed... It takes a while for torts to complete the process.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortoises shed their skin in pieces like lizards do, not one whole piece like snakes.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Like the experienced owners above have said, don't worry, this is perfectly normal for tortoises, just make sure your tortoise has constant safe access to water, without the risk of drowning, keep the humidity up and continue with the bathing and maybe even add an extra 1 or 2 baths a week for a bit.
It's good to ask questions, that's how we all learn, lots of experienced hands here.
Welcome to the forum and post us a pic and a name.

wiktoria

Thanks for help, i will start giving her more baths and keep an eye on the humidity! ;)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
its normal. :) just resist the urge to pick at it! lol I have horrible tendancies at picking at my own skin so when Franklin sheds I have to have some real self control :p

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Mine was really peely, which is natural. However, when I redid his enclosure and he started into his moist coco coir every night to sleep, I could not believe how smooth and almost soft his skin got. His shell got super shiney too.