Is cypress mulch safe?

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hello everyone! The other day I was at Lowes, and I saw big bags of cypress mulch for super low prices (like 4$). I know that the usual stuff I use, zoo med forest floor bedding, is like 20$ for a 24 qt bag. It barely even begins to cover my rf tortoise's cage floor, and it costs so much more. So I'm wondering, is it one of those situations where they are the same thing, just one is advertised as a "reptile product", or are they truly different? Thanks :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I use the cypress mulch all day long. You'll typically find better deals for most of what you need at hardware and garden stores. Bulbs, timers, lamps....are always marked up for pets.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I use the cypress mulch all day long. You'll typically find better deals for most of what you need at hardware and garden stores. Bulbs, timers, lamps....are always marked up for pets.

True dat. I never get anything at the petstores anymore. Too much of a markup. I always hit the hardware stores (yep, it's the same thing!!) and find that the smaller mom & pop ones carry the ceramic lamps, etc. if I cannot find them in the big box hardware stores!! I'd rather use the money saved to buy weeds... lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone! The other day I was at Lowes, and I saw big bags of cypress mulch for super low prices (like 4$). I know that the usual stuff I use, zoo med forest floor bedding, is like 20$ for a 24 qt bag. It barely even begins to cover my rf tortoise's cage floor, and it costs so much more. So I'm wondering, is it one of those situations where they are the same thing, just one is advertised as a "reptile product", or are they truly different? Thanks :)

It is safe, but make sure you get the fine grade and not the big honkin' chunks. I also find cypress mulch to be dirty and swampy smelling. It requires me to rinse it clean before use which is a big hassle and waste of my time. I prefer to use orchid bark which can also be bought in bulk for about $5.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
It is safe, but make sure you get the fine grade and not the big honkin' chunks. I also find cypress mulch to be dirty and swampy smelling. It requires me to rinse it clean before use which is a big hassle and waste of my time. I prefer to use orchid bark which can also be bought in bulk for about $5.

lol@big honkin' chunks. Boy, those tick Tuleo off!

Legmaker72

South West Florida
True dat. I never get anything at the petstores anymore. Too much of a markup. I always hit the hardware stores (yep, it's the same thing!!) and find that the smaller mom & pop ones carry the ceramic lamps, etc. if I cannot find them in the big box hardware stores!! I'd rather use the money saved to buy weeds... lol
Do they make orchid bark in small more finer pieces?
We grow a ton of orchids in air boxes using the bark, but it's kind of chunky.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do they make orchid bark in small more finer pieces?
We grow a ton of orchids in air boxes using the bark, but it's kind of chunky.

Yes. They make a fine grade. Its what I use for baby stars, leopards, sulcatas and juvenile Testudo or DTs.

fit4him

5 Year Member
SC
@Tom curious where do you find orchid bark and is that all you use as substrate to maintain humidity for redfoots? Thanks for the tip!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom curious where do you find orchid bark and is that all you use as substrate to maintain humidity for redfoots? Thanks for the tip!

I've gotten fine grade orchid bark from several of the garden centers near here. Its the same as the stuff at the pet store, but costs a fraction as much.

I don't keep RFs, but my enclosures with their high humidity and dry-on-top substrate would suit them just fine.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Cypress can be expensive and it is thought to lack the anti mold properties that made it so popular, since the 100 year old trees that were initially harvested have given way to younger cypress trees that are not as mature.