Is creeping phlox flowers safe?

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
I have planted a bunch of tall phlox for Sheldon but I also have creeping phlox.. the foliage is super picky and wouldnt feed it to him but I was wondering about the flowers. Does anyone know if they are safe to feed? there is nothing listed on the tortoise table that I can find.

Ruszian Tortoise

TX
Have you found out yet? Just in case you haven't, I'll reply so it will come to the top of the list again.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Creeping Phlox ("Moss" Phlox) is an evergreen species that has no known toxicities. The leaves are likely strongly flavored, and therefore uninteresting to torts.

BUT if you purchased new plants, they will retain the chemical treatments they received at the nursery. And since it is a drought-tolerant plant, the leaves and roots will probably hold onto those compounds for at least a year. It is Best Practice to let all new enclosure plants spend a year at another locale (container on a porch or patio, for ex) to allow chemical pesticides and herbicides to leach away.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Creeping Phlox ("Moss" Phlox) is an evergreen species that has no known toxicities. The leaves are likely strongly flavored, and therefore uninteresting to torts.

BUT if you purchased new plants, they will retain the chemical treatments they received at the nursery. And since it is a drought-tolerant plant, the leaves and roots will probably hold onto those compounds for at least a year. It is Best Practice to let all new enclosure plants spend a year at another locale (container on a porch or patio, for ex) to allow chemical pesticides and herbicides to leach away.
thank you! these are a few years old, I bought tall phlox as well!!