Is cat food safe for red foots?

spartasaur

5 Year Member
I had my red foot tort out wandering around the apartment and she went straight to the cat food and started munching on it. She's never done this before=/ I was just wondering if it is safe for her to eat it or if I should be keeping it out of reach while she is wandering around.

The food is petcurean's now fresh: grain free fish recipe for adult cats.

This is the list of ingredients: De-boned trout, whole dried egg, potatoes, potato flour, peas, pea flour, natural flavour, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, coconut oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), de-boned salmon, de-boned herring, calcium carbonate, tomato, alfalfa, apples, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, blackberries, pomegranate, papayas, lentils, broccoli, dried chicory root, phosphoric acid, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, inositol, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, beta-carotene, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulphate, calcium iodate, ferrous sulphate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite), taurine, DL-methionine, L-lysine, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, L-carnitine, dried rosemary.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
I've used also at times. They eat carrion sometimes in nature and seem attracted to strong smells:rolleyes:.

Bee62

Germany
I would not feed my redfoots cat food although it wouldn`t harm them, but too much of cat food can cause diarrhea.
Mayby the vitamins and minerals are not adapted to a tortoise.
I feed fresh meat ( ground beef ), boiled eggs, mealworms and little dryed fish.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There is a very large and very real danger here, but not from a Redfoot eating cat food.
It's from a tortoise roaming around the house. Just as your tortoise found and ate cat food. It will also find many things and get into situations that can harm or even kill it.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
I feed canned cat food once a week as their protein source.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I moisten Purina Pro Plan dry cat food and occasionally feed it to my RF and YF tortoises.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Mine get the dry cat food about once per week too and they love it. But they don't find it while roaming about on the floor. I told them if I see them roaming or loitering around on the floor of the house they are going to get what for. So they don't.

spartasaur

5 Year Member
There is a very large and very real danger here, but not from a Redfoot eating cat food.
It's from a tortoise roaming around the house. Just as your tortoise found and ate cat food. It will also find many things and get into situations that can harm or even kill it.
She only wanders around with super vison and I make sure to have the area she is in cleaned. She just went up to the cats food dish and started eating it, but had never done that before. Iv had her for 8 years and she has never shown interest in the cat food before so I just wanted to see if it was okay for her to eat it

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
She only wanders around with super vison and I make sure to have the area she is in cleaned. She just went up to the cats food dish and started eating it, but had never done that before. Iv had her for 8 years and she has never shown interest in the cat food before so I just wanted to see if it was okay for her to eat it
I only use dog food because I have a dog and she eats very top shelf quality dog food and I always have it on hand.
It comes down to a matter of convenience.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

When your tortoise is out of its enclosure it is away from the heat, UVB and humidity it needs to be healthy.

It is at risk of, deliberately or accidentally, eating something it shouldn’t. They’re not very clever and attracted to bright things that might be sweet fruit and white things that might be calcium. Hair and dust bunnies are a particular problem getting stuck in the gut.

We also see far too many cases of tortoises that escape or are stepped on by owners who watch their tort’s every move and then got distracted for a moment. :(

Your tort is happiest and healthiest in the safety of its enclosure. Please don’t let it roam the house.

spartasaur

5 Year Member
When your tortoise is out of its enclosure it is away from the heat, UVB and humidity it needs to be healthy.

It is at risk of, deliberately or accidentally, eating something it shouldn’t. They’re not very clever and attracted to bright things that might be sweet fruit and white things that might be calcium. Hair and dust bunnies are a particular problem getting stuck in the gut.

We also see far too many cases of tortoises that escape or are stepped on by owners who watch their tort’s every move and then got distracted for a moment. :(

Your tort is happiest and healthiest in the safety of its enclosure. Please don’t let it roam the house.
I understand that. She is only out and wandering the living room when her enclosure is being cleaned. She is in her enclosure 99.999% of the time. She just happened to find the cat food this time and I wanted to make sure she would be okay with having eaten some.