Is brumation necessary in bearded dragons?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Or are they like tortoises where you can keep them up with added heat and hours of light? I don’t plan on breeding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No, not "necessary". And its not really "brumation" in the sense of how it would be done with a tortoise. Its more of a cooling period where temps drop a little for a couple of months. I always did this with my blue tongue skinks. It kind of happens naturally in most North American houses. Most of us have cooler room temps in winter when compared to summer. I let my house stay 65-68 in winter and 78-80 in summer.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
No, not "necessary". And its not really "brumation" in the sense of how it would be done with a tortoise. Its more of a cooling period where temps drop a little for a couple of months. I always did this with my blue tongue skinks. It kind of happens naturally in most North American houses. Most of us have cooler room temps in winter when compared to summer. I let my house stay 65-68 in winter and 78-80 in summer.

Is it beneficial for them to “brumate” in captivity? Are there any negative consequences of not letting them?
Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is debatable, but most people that I know don't do it, and there seems to be no harm done.

These questions might be better for someone more involved and experienced with beardies than someone like me who has been a "casual" beardie caretaker. I've had a few of them and raised some babies, but I've never bred them or had more than one at a time. Someone who lives and breathes beardies all day every day could give you a better answer.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
This is debatable, but most people that I know don't do it, and there seems to be no harm done.

These questions might be better for someone more involved and experienced with beardies than someone like me who has been a "casual" beardie caretaker. I've had a few of them and raised some babies, but I've never bred them or had more than one at a time. Someone who lives and breathes beardies all day every day could give you a better answer.

Ok, thanks, Tom!

daniellenc

Maryland
Definitely NOT necessary with a beardie and probably will occur naturally during the cooler months as house temps drop on their own. They do not hibernate like a snake and some tortoise species, and will still breed prolifically.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Definitely NOT necessary with a beardie and probably will occur naturally during the cooler months as house temps drop on their own. They do not hibernate like a snake and some tortoise species, and will still breed prolifically.

Thank you!