Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You discovered the classic sprawled out basking pose! We love pics of that here.

For soaking I use $2 plastic dish tubs from Walmart. I use 90 degree water and leave them in it for 10-60 minutes. 10 or 15 should be sufficient, but somedays, I just feel like more. If they poop, I dump it and refill it. Mine always poop in the soaks and I never have to clean poop out of the enclosure (another benefit). I have terra cotta plant saucers for water bowls in my enclosures and all of mine track stuff in and out of there all day too. I just dump and refill it once or twice a day. I don't consider that a substitute for soaking. I use the shredded coco nut stuff you refer to, but I buy it in bulk in giant 80 pound bags. It seems to pack down a bit and stop sticking to them so much over time.

And don't worry about an end to your questions. We are all here to talk torts. More questions mean more tortoise talk.

BTW, Cameron is a great guy and a good resource. You don't need us if you've got him to talk to. :)

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Spider Woman said:
So is most people ok with feeding tortoise food from pet stores (of course mixed with the other stuff)? Because one site said "NO, absolutely no tortoise food" not in those exact words but pretty darn close!

Tom, I think I answered some of your questions, If I could get your 1-5 input. That would be great.

And anyone else.

Thanks to all of you for helping! I think I will keep the 2 little ones together unless I start to see any signs of agression, then I will seperate them or rehome one, the guy I bought them from said sometimes when they grow up together they are ok, we shall see :)

Apparently I've got a lot of checking up to do on the diff. types of foods out there! It's funny because they both refuse to eat the red leaf lettuce. go figure.

Welcome! I just wanted to add that their taste seems to change over time. My little guy OP (who is a year old now) didn't like the red lettuce in the beginning, but definitely eats it now. He also didn't like Rose of Sharon flowers, but now it's like candy!

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Sorry I didn't get back to you about Mazuri and Santa Barbara mix, but I am glad to see others responded :) I buy mine online through Spikesthebest on this forum, there are a lot of people on here that sell Mazuri, you can check the for sale section, they also sell cactus pads, which if you don't have naturally in your area is a great idea to buy. My little guy loves cactus pads and the flowers.

wrmitchell22 said:
Sorry I didn't get back to you about Mazuri and Santa Barbara mix, but I am glad to see others responded :) I buy mine online through Spikesthebest on this forum, there are a lot of people on here that sell Mazuri, you can check the for sale section, they also sell cactus pads, which if you don't have naturally in your area is a great idea to buy. My little guy loves cactus pads and the flowers.

One more thing, I have seen the coconut coir at petsmart, I use the Cypress mulch. In some areas yo ucan buy the cypress mulch at home depot or lowes, in AZ they don't sell it.

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Kernersville, NC
Welcome to TF. I only go by info on this site. Everyone is straight forward and always willing to answer any questions. Hope you enjoy the the liitle things they are a blast to watch.

Spider Woman

5 Year Member
Tom said:
You discovered the classic sprawled out basking pose! We love pics of that here.

And don't worry about an end to your questions. We are all here to talk torts. More questions mean more tortoise talk.

BTW, Cameron is a great guy and a good resource. You don't need us if you've got him to talk to. :)

Yes, now I see them both doing that but not to the extent as the other day. If I would of known what was going on I would have taken a picture!

Now Tom, its funny you mention that about Cameron... when I was asking him questions he told me that YOU were the expert and to ask everything here on this forum! (I love Mr. T! He's the one that got me hooked) Now I don't want you both getting a big head over who's the expert here:D

And I want to thank EVERYONE for their input. And to those who mentioned the 40 gallon not lasting long, I am aware of that, I got one that had the screen top so I could use it for one of my snakes when the 2 little ones grow out of it. Which there names are Mario and Louigee. My kids (high school and college) are not interested in them but they did name them when I asked for suggestions. Now they just need to stay boys or I will have a problem:p

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
+1 to what everyones been saying ? haha welcome to the forum !! i have nothing to add because, well, all the info given already is ggrreeaatt ! plus, theyve been given by the michael jordans and magic johnsons of this site and sub-section. cheers and congrats !! just come here when you have question, we're all happy to help and share !

Status
Not open for further replies.