Is a Eucalyptus tree in my backyard bad for a Sulcata tortoise?

Tortoisefinder

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
We have a large eucalyptus tree in our backyard. Would it be a bad idea to create a tortoise habitat in the area of this tree? It does provide a lot of great shade, but I'm worried the leaves and litter from the tree would be bad for it. Any advice?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nice smelling, but usually highly aromatic materials are frowned upon (like cedar) for substrates or enclosures. But, I’ll defer to @Yvonne G who has eucalyptus on her property for the final definitive response.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A few months ago my tortoise partner brought his heavy duty chipper/shredder here from San Diego and he shredded a WHOLE BUNCH of euc branches. I spread the resultant mulch over the floors of the RF and Manouria sheds. The tortoises have been sheltering in there just fine with no problems at all and I've noticed fewer bugs in the shelters.

Tortoisefinder

Tucson
Thanks! I wasn't planning on using it as bedding, but our eucalyptus tree is super messy and drops tons of leaves throughout our yard. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that would harm the tortoise if his habit was nearby.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A few months ago my tortoise partner brought his heavy duty chipper/shredder here from San Diego and he shredded a WHOLE BUNCH of euc branches. I spread the resultant mulch over the floors of the RF and Manouria sheds. The tortoises have been sheltering in there just fine with no problems at all and I've noticed fewer bugs in the shelters.

I thought I recalled you having fun with a chipper/shredder. I’ll bet that shred smells nice. (What about eating the leaves?’

Enjoy..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
they don't eat the leaves. It doesn't smell like food to them.

KhairulTort

Colombia
Nice smelling, but usually highly aromatic materials are frowned upon (like cedar) for substrates or enclosures. But, I’ll defer to @Yvonne G who has eucalyptus on her property for the final definitive response.
I agree with you 100% on this point.
Keeping them outside with the stuff should be fine so long as they don’t see it as food.
But. If you ever have a heated enclosed chamber for your tortoise, never use any substrate or have plants which emit a strong odour from their leaves. I planted a small shrub in my enclosure which had quite a strong, pleasant scent that filled up the living room, but my tortoise did not react well and I immediately noticed a drop in activity levels and a failure to eat.
After removing it, things went back to normal after a few days. Keep their air humid but clean.