Is a Box Turtle right for me?

MIReptilian

Location (City and/or State)
Metamora, Michigan
Hello. I'm new to the forum and am trying to figure out which tortoise/turtle is right for me and my family. I posted a thread in the general discussion forum but i'm not sure how much traffic that forum gets compared to the species specific forums. Sorry this is going to be long. I tend to be a bit long winded.

I have a few torts on my short list - Eastern Box, Hermann's, Redfoot, and Leopard (I think I've already ruled out the Leopard due to it's size)

I live in Michigan where we have hot, humid summers and cold snowy winters.
I have 11 aces of land in a very rural area. I also have a 2000 sgft unfinished basement for any kind of indoor enclosure. Space is not a concern.

The eastern box is native to my area of Michigan. This is the reason i'm considering it. I have a feeling a box would be much more able to adapt to out temp swings here in MI and our cold winters. I would love to have both an indoor and outdoor enclosure. My understanding is that these little guys are pretty hardy.

a few questions:

Can I successfully burmate a box turtle in my unfinished basement? or is it necessary to do this outside? This past winter we had wind chills here of -30 degrees below zero. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does get very cold. Do I have to burmate them? Or, if temps are keep constant during the winter can I keep them up?

My initial search for Eastern box breeders tells me that there aren't a lot out there. Or, maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. Hatchling vs yearling??? I'm not sure... I do know that many states have outlawed their sale and maybe that explains why there isn't much availability. I know here in Michigan I can buy an eastern box, but must order from an out of state source and retain my proof of purchase.

Can anyone give me suggestions and maybe some insight on Box Turtle care vs care of other torts I'm considering? I've read some articles saying Box turtles are more difficult to care for than other torts but i'm not sure if that's true or not. I'm researching each species I listed above to try and figure out which would be best for me. I'm posting on the species specif forums with questions.

I have a very large fenced vegetable garden complete with berries (rasberry, blueberry, blackberry and elder berry) and a 20 tree Apple/pear/peach/plum orchard here on my 11 acres.

If anyone can offer up suggestions, opinion, respected breeders to contact etc. i would be grateful.

Thanks
Jeff

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I have 4 boxies (all three-toed.) Idk your state laws on owning an Eastern. They are resticted in many states. Box turtles are NOT tortoises and their care is very different. Make sure you understand they will need a water source to soak in and to drink from, and it will get filthy, so you will have to change the water a lot, or find a way to filter it and be able to change the filter often. Mine are kept outside, they hibernate. But idk what your situation is with regards to how you plan to brumate them. Boxies can be a lot pickier about eating than torts, but mine are good eaters. My signature is a link of how to feed Boxies. it is very well researched and written.

Good luck. i am sure someone else can gve you more info.

MIReptilian

Metamora, Michigan
I have 4 boxies (all three-toed.) Idk your state laws on owning an Eastern. They are resticted in many states. Box turtles are NOT tortoises and their care is very different. Make sure you understand they will need a water source to soak in and to drink from, and it will get filthy, so you will have to change the water a lot, or find a way to filter it and be able to change the filter often. Mine are kept outside, they hibernate. But idk what your situation is with regards to how you plan to brumate them. Boxies can be a lot pickier about eating than torts, but mine are good eaters. My signature is a link of how to feed Boxies. it is very well researched and written.

Good luck. i am sure someone else can gve you more info.

Thanks Colleen. I'm in Michigan and based on my research, an able to own an Eastern box as long as a buy from out of state and retain the proof of purchase for record of captive breeding.

I am aware that Box turtles are not tortoises mainly due to the box being an omnivore vs most tortoises being herbivores. If there are other major differences please let me know.

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it.

wccmog10

Georgia
Box turtles are really cool and I’m sure you would enjoy having one. They are considered semi-aquatic and will require a good source of water. They will make that water source dirty everyday (like colleenT said). And because they are omnivores (like you mentioned) they need more protein in their diet. I’ve used things like fresh killed insects (so they don’t run away), cut up earthworms, pinkies, or soaked aquatic turtle pellets as a source of protein, which I put on top of greens and veggies.

There are sources out there for captive bred eastern box turtles, so you should be able to get one if this is the species you decide is best for you.

MIReptilian

Metamora, Michigan
Box turtles are really cool and I’m sure you would enjoy having one. They are considered semi-aquatic and will require a good source of water. They will make that water source dirty everyday (like colleenT said). And because they are omnivores (like you mentioned) they need more protein in their diet. I’ve used things like fresh killed insects (so they don’t run away), cut up earthworms, pinkies, or soaked aquatic turtle pellets as a source of protein, which I put on top of greens and veggies.

There are sources out there for captive bred eastern box turtles, so you should be able to get one if this is the species you decide is best for you.

Thanks.. Yes.. If I decide to go with an Eastern Box i will definitely make sure i have water readily available. The outside run will be large with a water feature like a pond or similar. I have tons of space and enjoy creating habitat for animals. I currently manage most of my land for whitetail deer, rabbit, and other creatures. The southern border is a nice river with a flood plain area that produces all kinds of aquatic plants. Which ever Turtle/Tort I decide on will have a top notch outdoor habitat as well as a nicely equipped indoor habitat. The indoor enclosure will be right next to my desk where I spend 8 hours a day 5 days a week for work (I work from home). Monitoring turtle health, water, food etc will be no problem. The outdoor habitat will be built within our very large fenced vegetable garden. I tend to the garden every day and am outside taking care of other animals daily. Plan on possibly putting a hot wire around the turtle enclosure too keep the ever present raccoons and other predators out of the enclosure. No problem there. I have two Young boys that LOVE catching bugs, worms and taking care of animals.

I emailed Chris Leone Last night asking about Eastern Box Turtles and if he might have any availabel in the coming months. He also breeds Hermann's which are on my short list as well.

Please share more opinions and suggestions. Before i get my feet wet with this, I want to make sure I am 100% prepared.

Thanks
Jeff

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Tortstork has some available I believe.