Irritated eyes after changing to Coco coir

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
Hi guys!
First I would like to thank those who replied my post regarding my Russian tortoise eyes shut, not eating. He is getting a lot better now after I took the advice putting him in a separated hospital enclosure using paper towel substrate.

Now since he is recovered (eyes normal, eating well), I decided to put him back to the enclosure, and replace the reptile bark with coco coir bought from garden store. And make sure its moist but not damp in the enclosure.

On the first day, he seemed to like the new substrate that he can bury himself in. While the second day he started to scratch his LEFT eye to get rid of the coconut particle that went into the eye from burying, result is that more coconut sticking on his arm went into the eye... then he just stop eating and kept scratching...

This is the third day now, his left eye becoming puffy and red when scratching... we had to put him back to the hospital enclosure.

My question is that is this because his eyes, especially left eye, is not fully recovered and very sensitive to dirt? The right eye looks fine. Should I wait till he is recovered long enough before taking him back with coco coir?

Or he might just got weak and sensitive eyes that cannot use any type of substrate, considering that he was sick in the reptile bark last time. And I should only use some thing can never go into his eyes like paper towel or hand towel?

Thank you :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he were mine, I would use plain pesticide and fertilizer free dirt for him. He might just have very sensitive eyes. Being he has already had some problems, I would minimize causing any more by use the dirt and/or dirt with leaf litter

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did any other variables change when you put him back? The enclosure is a different container than the hospital tank, right? What sort of heating and lighting have you got over the main tank?

I've been using coir with baby russian, CDTs and other species for years and not once have I ever had any eye issues from it. I've never had any eye issues at all come to think of it. They all burrow down into it and get it all over their faces and eyes. Sometimes it dries out between wettings, and it doesn't seem to bother them then either.

Can you post a pic of the hospital tank and the main tank?

Curious case, this one is...

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
And here are the pictures when he buries and scratches eyes.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416525181.847266.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416525210.663133.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416525222.114936.jpg

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
If he were mine, I would use plain pesticide and fertilizer free dirt for him. He might just have very sensitive eyes. Being he has already had some problems, I would minimize causing any more by use the dirt and/or dirt with leaf litter
Thanks for your reply. I'm just worried that any dirt goes into his eyes might make him itchy and want to scratch. And the more he does, his eye becomes more red and swollen:( hope he will be tougher one day..!

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
Did any other variables change when you put him back? The enclosure is a different container than the hospital tank, right? What sort of heating and lighting have you got over the main tank?

I've been using coir with baby russian, CDTs and other species for years and not once have I ever had any eye issues from it. I've never had any eye issues at all come to think of it. They all burrow down into it and get it all over their faces and eyes. Sometimes it dries out between wettings, and it doesn't seem to bother them then either.

Can you post a pic of the hospital tank and the main tank?

Curious case, this one is...
Hi Tom. Actually We put him back to the original enclosure and left with paper towel when he started recovering. I just replaced the paper towel with coco coir after he looked healthy. But Right after that he started trying to scratch out the dirt in the eye.... Mabbe it's just his left eye still too weak? His right eye is fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom. Actually We put him back to the original enclosure and left with paper towel when he started recovering. I just replaced the paper towel with coco coir after he looked healthy. But Right after that he started trying to scratch out the dirt in the eye.... Mabbe it's just his left eye still too weak? His right eye is fine.

I don't have an answer. Do you pack the coir down? It looks pretty loose in the pic. I try to keep mine packed down after they dig it up. I just don't see it as much of a factor.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
From your picture, it almost looks like grains of sand mixed with the coco coir. The picture also looks like the coco coir could be too wet. When you squeeze a handful of coco coir, if any water drips from your hand then the substrate is too wet.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
For the record, my Max got puffy eyes within about a week of switching to coir. I truly believe he doesn't like it and I also think I am allergic to it myself. I am very interested in any feedback anyone might have as am alternative.

In part if our enclosure we have small rounded sort of wood chips from the reptile section of the pet store. Max loves them. They are where he digs and burrows. He will have nothing to do with the coir and pretty much just walks on it because he has to to get to his water :)

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
If a tortoise soaks regularly and drinks a lot, do they need a substrate like coir, or could one do 100 percent chips if that seems to be the animal's preference?