introduction

Katiehiegel

Hello my name is Katie and this Friday I am buying my son a Russian tortoise for his birthday I am trying to get everything ready before we pick it up.. I need a little help with the set up because between the three pet stores they all say something a little different.. First thing can I put plastic in its enclosure or will it try to eat it. Second what temperatures does it need to be to take it outside and last what are some good ideas on how to make an outdoor enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie and welcome to the Forum!

Pet stores are in business to sell stuff and make money. There aren't very many pet store clerks who really know much about caring for tortoises. Don't listen to them and don't buy what they try to sell you.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Katie welcome to the TFO from AZ . Why did you deside on a Russian tort ? Their are so many to check out ! For example the pancake tort . I'm sorry I don't want you to up set you my question is very sinsear . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Especialls don't buy those expensive water dishes! Terra cotta plant saucers work great and are cheap!

Katiehiegel

Hello Katie welcome to the TFO from AZ . Why did you deside on a Russian tort ? Their are so many to check out ! For example the pancake tort . I'm sorry I don't want you to up set you my question is very sinsear . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

We decided on this one for two reasons one its the only kind they had and two my son loves the fact that he really never hides from him he likes to be held and walk around

Katiehiegel

What are the best lights and where do u place them how far above do I leave all of them on for the 12 hrs