Introduction

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa
Hello everyone! My name is Desiré and I am new to TortoiseForum. I have been lurking here and reading about all that I can about leopard tortoises. I have a one year and three months old leopard tortoise, her name is Rosie. We live in South Africa. I am very excited to be here and very excited to have people to interact with who also love tortoises. I have never had a tortoise before, and I agreed to become Rosie's momma after she desperately needed a home. Her previous owners kept her under very poor conditions and did not feed her often. As a result, she is a bit small for her age, but let me tell you, she is a fighter. She is strong and curious and adapted very quickly. I am learning as I go and I've built her an enclosure, I am also in the process of growing her food. I am trying my best to get her on a good diet so that she can be healthier and start growing more. Very happy to be here. ?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Oh my goodness, she’s so cute!! Thanks for the pics! I’m sure you’ve already seen the care sheet, but incase you haven’t, here’s the most current one written by @Tom

South Africa
Oh my goodness, she’s so cute!! Thanks for the pics! I’m sure you’ve already seen the care sheet, but incase you haven’t, here’s the most current one written by @Tom

Goodness, thank you SO much for this care sheet. I actually haven't come across it and I am very happy to have it now. And also grateful to @Tom for posting it. I have only been on the forum for half an hour and already there is great support. Thank you.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hello everyone! My name is Desiré and I am new to TortoiseForum. I have been lurking here and reading about all that I can about leopard tortoises. I have a one year and three months old leopard tortoise, her name is Rosie. We live in South Africa. I am very excited to be here and very excited to have people to interact with who also love tortoises. I have never had a tortoise before, and I agreed to become Rosie's momma after she desperately needed a home. Her previous owners kept her under very poor conditions and did not feed her often. As a result, she is a bit small for her age, but let me tell you, she is a fighter. She is strong and curious and adapted very quickly. I am learning as I go and I've built her an enclosure, I am also in the process of growing her food. I am trying my best to get her on a good diet so that she can be healthier and start growing more. Very happy to be here. ?
Welcome to TFO!

This is a great place to learn about Rosie and how to best care for her.

Jamie

South Africa
Welcome to the forum, Desire!!

Do you know if your baby tortoise was artificially incubated or incubated naturally and collected? What part of S Africa is she from?
Thank you so much!
I do not know much about where she came from. All I know is that she came from people who own property and house various tortoises, and then they sell the babies to those who want to adopt them (although adoption is debatable because obtaining a permit to house tortoises is difficult here). Therefore, I am pretty sure that she was artificially incubated. I live in the central part of South Africa, so, Gauteng. That is also where Rosie is from. She was not brought from a different province.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I've been to the RSA a couple of times. I rather like it there. Wonderful place.