Introduction

Kazea

Location (City and/or State)
West Midlands
Hi I have had Archie for 10 years he's a horsefield tortoise. I don't hibernate him and have just moved house.
He's not eating.i could get him to eat some lettuce but that was all. But in the last week he won't even eat that.
I taking him to a new vet tomorrow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is the time of year for them to brumate, whether you allow it or not. He's not eating because that's what they do prior to brumation. Things have changed because you've just moved house. That's probably a contributing factor to triggering the brumation response.

Kazea

West Midlands
That's what I thought but, it's been 2mths now and I've kept him warm, bathed him regularly with repto boost, but his appetite has declined.to nothing in the last week.
So, should I not worry?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO! with Russians I always worry when their appetite declines for no discernable reason. When they are warm and healthy they are usually little sharks with voracious appetites. As @Yvonne G says things like changes in environment can definitely cause stress responses like refusing to eat and just wanting to hide. If there is no other signs f illness it could be the moving stress. I think the vet is a good idea to help you determine which is the case for your guy.

Kazea

West Midlands
Thankyou so much. He is a sensitive thing so I knew the move would upset him. But he has been wandering around happy to explore etc, and the appetite has declined since then. And He just seems to want to be left alone and sleep. Which isn't like him. ☹️
I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow.