Introduction

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Can your family build something like this? Of course, with a lid on top with hinges and a lock. If you get the family involved it would be great to plan together.
You should collect a bunch of photos and make a slide show and present it to them while brainstorming.

attachment.php

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Having your family's approval is good, but how far does it go? Will they help you with its care? Will they pay vet bills? Take you shopping for food and supplies and pick up fresh greens from the store twice a week in the winter? If you go away on vacation or for any reason, will they feed your tortoise or allow a pet carer in the house? A new UVB bulb every year will cost around $50. Can you afford that? Can you get yourself to the store on your own? Can you build or buy a suitable habitat on your own?

I know you don't want to hear this, but it may be much better to wait until you're on your own and not dependent on your family before you get a tortoise. We get posts here from kids who are trying to do everything right but their parents prevent them one way or another. The animal suffers for it.

Tort1419

I appreciate everyone's concerns but yes it was hard to convince my mom because she doesn't like animals, however I have discussed this with both of my parents and they are both willing to help, and we have a huge backyard and I think my outside pen will be 10ft by 10ft which is very large for one tortoise, but don't worry everything is planned out

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I think in Indiana you can keep a Russian outside the whole year, so a large outdoor enclosure with a heated shelter (I use a cold frame) for cold nights and rainy days will be the best.

IgorRT

We have three Russians and live in Indiana as well. In the winter it can and has gotten down to -15 so I'm gonna say no, do not keep them outside. We have a barn dedicated to our reptiles in the winter. I'm not saying you need to build a barn like we did, we have many species, but for our Russians we have an outdoor for summer that has a screened top that we can close to keep out predators and to keep in our little escape artists. Welcome and good luck!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Why not - with a heated shelter? A heat mat would probably be enough to keep the frost out and it's definitely cheaper and easier to build than a barn. :D
I think it's the least stressful for them to brumate in their familiar enclosure.

Tort1419

We have three Russians and live in Indiana as well. In the winter it can and has gotten down to -15 so I'm gonna say no, do not keep them outside. We have a barn dedicated to our reptiles in the winter. I'm not saying you need to build a barn like we did, we have many species, but for our Russians we have an outdoor for summer that has a screened top that we can close to keep out predators and to keep in our little escape artists. Welcome and good luck!

Ok so what about rain do you keep them in the outside enclosure when it is raining, also what temperature range would u take them in at, like when it is below 60 degrees?

IgorRT

Ok so what about rain do you keep them in the outside enclosure when it is raining, also what temperature range would u take them in at, like when it is below 60 degrees?
Unless it is a really bad rain, yes they stay outside. And we usually take them in if it gets around 65, just because it's Indiana and you never know if when they say 60 is the lowest it will only get down to 60. So 65 is my comfort level.