Introduction

Tort1419

Hello everyone I am very excited to be a part of this tortoise community and look forward to meeting lots of you and your tortoises. Unfortunately I don't have a tortoise my mother doesn't really like animals. However a few years ago I convinced my mom to buy a leopard tortoise. I loved him so much and named him spotty. Unfortunately when we bought him from petco they told us to feed him something we were not supposed. A few months later we found out he developed kidney stones. My mom decided that she doesn't want to go through an experience like this so she wanted to get rid of the tortoise luckily the vet said he knows someone who will take spotty. We checked on him a couple of months back and he is doing fine. Anyways 20 minutes ago I finally convinced my mom to buy my another tortoise. But this time I'm doing tons of research. So here is my plan. I am going to build a very nice enclosure for my tortoise but, it will be indoors. My plan is to take the tortoise outside at least twice a week to play with me. However during the winter months I will keep him in his enclosure. Is this a good plan if not please let me know why. So now I need to know what tortoise to get, I need one that is small, very interactive towards humans( though this probably doesn't belong to a certain species more like just luck in the tortoise) also by small I mean one that is really small. Also if anyone who lives in Indiana, close, or someone with references has an unusually small tortoise or has a small one that fits my requirements I would love to make arrangements to buy, again like always has to be captive bred, also since I like small, for some species I prefer male

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome. I would suggest a russian or hermanns tortoise. However, although small, they still need a large enclosure and should be able to live outside during the warm months. I don't like the taking them outside a couple times a week to play with them, because tortoises are not like dogs. They don't really play and don't really want to be bothered. An outdoor enclousre for it to enjoy and explore during the warm months would be what they would want.

Tort1419

Thank you, I won't do that, but do I have to have an outdoor enclosure, if so I have a deck can I put it on the deck, I don't want to put it in the backyard becuase the neighbors dog is always in there and even though she is really nice I don't want anything to happen

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some do make an enclousre out on the deck. In the yard would be nicer. A wired top on the enclousre should keep,the dog out. However, if you don't think it would, you know the dog, we don't, then a deck enclosure would be better then no outdoor enclosure.

Tort1419

So I build the enclosure outside, I won't need heat lamps or UVB lamps, would I need to change the substrate or how will it go

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
So I build the enclosure outside, I won't need heat lamps or UVB lamps, would I need to change the substrate or how will it go
if the enclosure is outside the tort will get all the UVB he needs from the sun. you wont really need to change the substrate, just use dirt from outside and fill the enclosure up with live plants. i would recommend brining the tort in at night so raccoons don't get to him.

Tort1419

if the enclosure is outside the tort will get all the UVB he needs from the sun. you wont really need to change the substrate, just use dirt from outside and fill the enclosure up with live plants. i would recommend brining the tort in at night so raccoons don't get to him.
What if I cover the enclosure really well from predators will I need to take it inside at night?

Tort1419

Also for a russian tortoise what is the temperature it normally likes to be at , also I will have a shaded area in the enclosure but doe a the enclosure have to have a basking area?

Tort1419

Oh ok so for the outdoor enclosure all I need is : a stable area that they can't climb out of and predators can't get in, put lost of plants decorations and rocks everywhere and cool things for the tort to climb and how about food how often should indeed a russian tort

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Oh ok so for the outdoor enclosure all I need is : a stable area that they can't climb out of and predators can't get in, put lost of plants decorations and rocks everywhere and cool things for the tort to climb and how about food how often should indeed a russian tort
i feed my torts daily. russian torts diet should mostly be nontoxic weeds you can find in your yard. large varieties of broad leafed plants.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Read the Russian tortoise care sheet that is pinned at the top of our Russian section, and read the Hermann's care sheet at the top of that section. Both care sheets will answer all your questions, inside and outdoors.

Tort1419

i feed my torts daily. russian torts diet should mostly be nontoxic weeds you can find in your yard. large varieties of broad leafed plants.
Ok I thank everyone so much for their help but last thing what if the temp. For the day what if the temperature is like 60 degrees or 80 what if it is cloudy or rainy , also does the tortoise need a friend will it be happier that way

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Ok I thank everyone so much for their help but last thing what if the temp. For the day what if the temperature is like 60 degrees or 80 what if it is cloudy or rainy , also does the tortoise need a friend will it be happier that way
tortoises are territorial animals if two are kept together they will try to kill each other. please read the thread i posted. remember to always provide the tortoise will water and weekly soaks.