introduction--can u ID the tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suewalt

5 Year Member
this is my first time posting here. i have a 12 year old tortoise. i am not sure exactly of the breed. can you tell by these photos?. he weighs about 3 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_2527.JPG
    IMG_2527.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2531.JPG
    IMG_2531.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2529.JPG
    IMG_2529.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 68

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sue:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

Well, if your tortoise is 12 years old, there is something drastically wrong...either with the age as you know it, or with the tortoise's husbandry.

You have a sulcata tortoise, and at 12 years of age a sulcata usually weighs in at the 50lb or more mark.

Can you give us a bit of history on the tortoise?

(and may we know appx. where you are?)

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
You have a Sulcata! Definitely not 12 years old though. Congrats! They do get very large so be prepared!

suewalt

5 Year Member
to give you some history...tonka belonged to a family member from the time he was 2 inches, that was in 2000. i feel like he was not given the best care, to say the least. i adopted him about 3 years ago. he weighed 15 ounces. he now weighs 3# 14 oz. he was sold as a sulcuta, but since he didnt grow like he should have, i wondered if he were a different type (Testudo graeca?) so thanks for the id~! i think maybe his growth was stunted from poor nutrition. we live in ne ohio, so he indoors in the house.. in a kids sandbox enclosure now. in the summer he goes in a pen outside and grazes on dandilions and grass.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

The growth was definitely stunted, that is the smallest 12 year old sulcata that I have seen... But at least there has been some growth since you have had him and thats a good thing...

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
After 12yrs and he's that small?...I'ld expect him to look sickly and a mess. ...I dont know

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have a leopard nearly the same age with stunted growth as well.

It sounds like he is in better care now. Welcome to the forum!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

See this beautiful tort in my post? Thats WalkingRock.... he is 11 years old and 85lbs...

With a proper diet and plenty of exercise Tonka should be close to this. But it's never to late since these guys live for a VERY long time!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome, that seems to be a very small guy at 12 years old.
poor diet might have been the case, great thing he's in your hands now :)

M

Maggie Cummings

He definitely is a Sulcata and at age 12 my Bob was 95 pounds. I suggest you start shoving food at him. Feed him all the dark leafy greens you can buy and add 1 cup of Mazuri daily to that. What kind of lighting are you using to make up for his lack of UVB? Bob lives in a heated insulated shed and we live in Oregon so he too spends most of his time indoors. So welcome, and if you follow our advice he will start to grow...

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Definitely a sulcata, definitely needs food. Post in the Sulcata section for extremely good/invaluable advice :) I know that they shouldn't get fruit but that's about it :-/

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Lots of green leafy veggies, Mazuri, grass, grass and more grass and a small piece of watermellon for dessert!:p

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well, you found the right place to find out what kind of diet and care he should be getting now..
the more outside the better..

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
OH YES! Sunshine! Lots of Natural Sunshine! These eating/growing machines need lots Solar Energy to function properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.