Introducing....!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawb77

5 Year Member
Howdy everyone. Been a snooper on and off of these forums for the past year or so, maybe poking around once a month for a few minutes. Anyways, I just moved into a nice new apartment with a nice amount of space and added a bachelorette to my bachelor's pad.

I have been a long time owner of various box turtles when I was a kid, having as many as 8. I lived in the South and accumulated most of them by picking them up out of the middle of the street as we drove down on our way to errands or whatever. I had a large area in my backyard where I kept them and even had several clutches of babies.

Here I am over 10 years later getting back into the shelled reptile addiction. I just brought home yesterday a Golden Greek Tortoise. As much as I would have loved to have gotten a Sulcata. I know their needs and Since I dont know if I will have a house in the next few years to be able to house it outside in ITS backyard...I decided to get something smaller.

Bought the Golden Greek from an exotic pets store that specializes in..well exotic pets. None of this cat and dog and hamster kinda stuff. The Golden Greek is a female about 2.5-3 years old and still has at least 2 inches left to grow I would guess. Shes about the size of a good sized fist.

Got her home and I know shes pretty stressed from the 45 minute drive home and being in a totally different environment. Right now I have her in a 3' x 1.5' tupperware bin until next weekend when my friend and I plan on building a turtle box for her. Also wanted her to be in a simple enclosure to keep an eye on her health. I did notice late last night right before bed that she has a bit of a runny nose (bubbles...but not a consistant thing) so basically I'm keeping an eye on it pretty closely. I'm making sure that her enclosure is nice and warm (on her warm side) so that she can try to kick this runny nose with some nice dry warmth and vitamins. She has eaten some since I brought her home (went to the food herself). She has used the bathroom, and after giving her a short soak and putting her on the tile she let loose a nice pee.

Anyways, keeping her health under watch and keeping her environment pretty simple until she gets settled and gets some food and a few more bowel movements through her. I'll try to get a few pictures added here this evening.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Please post some pictures of your setup and of your tort! :D We love pictures here.

If she is a true golden, then you need to keep her hotter than 65F at all times. (even over night) they need a bit of a hotter basking spot as well.

What do you have for a UVB light?

Rawb77

5 Year Member
Meg09:

She's got a 100watt red heating lamp on her warm side for heat. UVB comes in the form of a Reptisun 10.0 tube.

The setup is very simple at the moment. Mostly not to overstimulate her so she can calm down for a bit and because the turtle box will be built in the next week. She does have a cave where she can hide and right now she seems content with basking in the heat with her eyes closed. Right now I am assuming she is fairly tired, stressed, getting regulated, and quite possibly fighting off a case of the sniffles. Either way, I'm sure with the UVB kicking and some vitamins on her food she will be settling in just fine in the coming days.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I don't think your lights are bright enough for her. The tube lights, aren't that bright, and red light doesn't register to them as light (which is why it can be used at night). IMO I think you should have a regular basking bulb, so it simulates the nice, hot, bright sun for her.

The "sniffles" are actually respiratory infections in tortoises. I am not saying she has one now, it could be stress bubbles, but if it continues, she will need to be kept hotter, and taken to a vet for antibiotics.

What are you planning to feed her, diet wise?

Rawb77

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
I don't think your lights are bright enough for her. The tube lights, aren't that bright, and red light doesn't register to them as light (which is why it can be used at night). IMO I think you should have a regular basking bulb, so it simulates the nice, hot, bright sun for her.

The "sniffles" are actually respiratory infections in tortoises. I am not saying she has one now, it could be stress bubbles, but if it continues, she will need to be kept hotter, and taken to a vet for antibiotics.

What are you planning to feed her, diet wise?

She is kept near a window, the warmer side being closest to the window. She doesnt seem to have a problem finding the heat lamp. The tube UVB light is pretty dern bright and nearer the basking side. I'll keep an eye on it. I've used "outdoor" Halogen bulbs before in the past, does a nice job of being nice and cozy warm and being bright. I dont think light is an issue.

Yes the sniffles can be a respiratory issue. Hence why I'm keeping an eye on it and making sure she gets vitamins.

Food wise: I'm making sure she gets all the canned cat food she can get as well as yogurt and cheeses!!!!!! (JUST KIDDING!)

She of course will be on a strict herbivorous diet. I've got a mixture of hay and grasses as well as leafy diet options of Kale, Collard Greens, and Mustard Greens. I'll mix in dandelion as I grow it and always keep an eye out for Prickly Pear Pads. I know a specialty produce store of sorts nearby where I am sure I can find some. I have a calcium and vitamin suppliment that will be given on an alternating schedule. One day calcium, next day vitamins etc etc.

If you have any other food suggestions on what to offer and in amounts please let me know. I know fruits are looked down upon except for a rare treat. Vegetables are to be given but in minute amounts. From what I was told specifically about the Greeks is that 40% or so of their diet should be grasses, and the majority afterwards should be leafy greens.

Rawb77

5 Year Member
Here's some pics. First is the temporary Housing I have her in for now. Its a fairly good size. It is dark in the rest of the room (night time) so it does seem pretty shadowy. During the day, the window right next to it allows a nice splash of sun in to brighten the bin.

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

DSC00534.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I don't think she's pure golden, if golden at all. She looks Jordanian to me. I would say female though.

I would recommend feeding spring mix. Its what most keepers here use, and I use it for all my Greeks with good results (ages 2 mos, 1 year, and 11 years) The brand I use is Earthbound farms. They have a website that lists all the types of lettuces in each container. I don't think she'll touch the hay, mine won't. And you want to watch the collard greens and kale. They are high in oxalic acid, which binds calcium.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rawb77:

1692628fstwwh7rre.gif

to the forum!! (Its almost thanksgiving, so this one seemed appropriate!)

Yvonne

Rawb77

5 Year Member
I'll keep an eye out on the spring mix. Pretty nice being able to buy a bag of greens and have it be practically ready to eat.

The hay I have doesnt seem to get poked at much. Thought I'd give it a shot since its practically all fiber. If anything now, ill mix a little in with the bedding.

Yesterday it seemed all she wanted to do was sleep. This evening though, shes much more active and moving about. Even dug a little in the bedding i put in there this morning that I went out to get. Hopefully the bubbles go away. I rarely see them but her nose is a lil runny. We shall see.

No idea on what to name her yet. Would be nice to know if she is Jordanian or Golden. I was told Golden but...of course you know how pet stores are (even if they specialize in exotics.)

How much more would you say she has to grow if shes about 3 years old? Couple more inches at least?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Here's how to measure her. http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm Based on her subspecies, and her current SCL, she might not have too much left to grow.

Oh, and she's a TON more than three years old. Based on the growth (and what her SCL factors in to be) she's prob around 5-7 I would say.

Rawb77

5 Year Member
Nifty. Doesn't make and difference to me if she will grow anymore or not. Shes cute and will fit in just fine. Still need to find a name for the lil miss.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
What is her SCL then?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She's got a bit of growing yet then. Most females are between 6-7 inches. She's prolly only around 4 or 5 then, I would say. WC

Rawb77

5 Year Member
Nifty, thanks. She was pretty active this evening. So I think things are settling down for her. I let her walk around the apartment for a lil while tonight just to get into a little mischief. When I put her back in her house, she went for her cave and has been sleeping for a couple hours now.

Any confirmed ID on her specie?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Post those pictures of her in a new thread titled "ID please" and more members will respond. You need a carapace pic, a head shot, and a plastron pic, as well as pics of her tail to confirm sex. Make sure to mention SCL and weight if you have it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Rawb77, welcome to the forum. Greeks don't usually eat hay as they can not digest the silica in the hay or grasses. They are more the broad leaf weed eaters. I would also use Curly endive and escarole. Careful with too much of the greens that can goiters and oxalic acid as well as letting her have the run of your apartment as the floor may be too cold for her especially if she is ill.

Rawb77

5 Year Member
Just wanted to give yall a heads up. The Bubbly nose has dissapated. Good heat and UVB and vitamin suppliments seemed to have made her all better. Very active, very curious, and just plowing along!

samstar

5 Year Member
Congrats on your newly acquired tortoise. My stars also had running nose the first day I brought them home but it only lasted for 1-2 days. Now all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.