Introducing Usain Bolt!

amenezes

Location (City and/or State)
Torrance, CA
So after some research and bothering you all here, I have adopted this 20yrs old Russian tortoise and named him Usain Bolt. He was found on the streets and taken to a pet store who then contacted the rescue. I had to drive 100miles each way to go get him but I didn't want to buy one from a breeder. He has some damage to his shell as you can see if you zoom in a bit and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help heal that. Also I was wondering how do you tell his age and if you guys agree he might be around 20yrs. Thanks everyone for the help, you all are great!

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-25 at 17.45.19.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-09-25 at 19.04.06.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats!
Hard to say how old he is. I would guess that your 20 year guess probably isn't far off.
His shell other then showing years on earth looks fine.
He's a handsome fella.
Set him up right, feed good food and keep him hydrated and you should have many years together.

amenezes

Torrance, CA
Thanks everyone. Today was our first full day together but he didn't eat much, I tried a bunch of different things they like but he'd just mow right over it. Perhaps he's slowing down since it's getting cooler, I suppose.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Usain might be getting used to the new surroundings. How long have you had Usain!

amenezes

Torrance, CA
I just got him yesterday but I got home with him late in the afternoon so he was ready for bed mostly. LOL

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I just got him yesterday but I got home with him late in the afternoon so he was ready for bed mostly. LOL
It will take Usain some time to get settled in to the new surroundings. So he might be off the food.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
He's doing great! It took a few days but he started eating. Also it was on the cool side when I got him and it warmed up so he started up again. He's solar powered! LOL Thanks for asking.
A infrared temp gun are very handy. Actually I think a must. You can get pinpointed readings anywhere in your enclosure. Just don't point at eyes or airplanes. ?Screenshot_20201118-094349_Chrome.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Aww that's the fun part! Eyes and planes! Lol yeah I was thinking about getting one. Thank you!
I kept thinking about getting one. Until I finally did, it is definitely very useful.
I still shine it at airplanes though. ???????