Introducing Tortellini

Kelmeeshell

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hi all! I’m Kelcie - 24, female, resident of Indiana USA and a new tortoise mom. His name is Tortellini and he’s a Russian tortoise I got a few days ago. I think he’s settling in well but I’m a little nervous as he’s my first tortoise and my first reptile I’ve had since childhood. I’m welcome to advice as I’m worried I’m doing everything wrong. I’ve included a picture of his enclosure as well - feel free to point out anything you might see I can improve on for him.

1A372BBF-ACEE-42F5-BBBE-94B2700EB1AE.jpeg 811AC878-6CD1-456C-8BEE-BECDF0F3336F.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Sadly, there are some things that need to be changed.

-your enclosure is too small. You have an adult Russian, and they do best in enclosures that are 8x4 feet or larger, or at least close to that size. There are no tanks large enough.

- you are currently measuring the temperatures at the top of the tank with inaccurate thermometers/hygrometers.
You need a digital one with a probe (or temp gun) and a digital hygrometer, and you need to be measuring temperatures at tortoise level.

-Those water bowls are flipping hazards. It’s best to use a 6+ inch terra cotta saucer for food and water.

-your uvb likely isn’t doing much at that height, and your heat lamp should be pointed straight down. You may need a bigger dome with a ceramic top.

Be sure to give these a read and come back with questions-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Kelmeeshell

Indiana
Welcome to the forum! Sadly, there are some things that need to be changed.

-your enclosure is too small. You have an adult Russian, and they do best in enclosures that are 8x4 feet or larger, or at least close to that size. There are no tanks large enough.

- you are currently measuring the temperatures at the top of the tank with inaccurate thermometers/hygrometers.
You need a digital one with a probe (or temp gun) and a digital hygrometer, and you need to be measuring temperatures at tortoise level.

-Those water bowls are flipping hazards. It’s best to use a 6+ inch terra cotta saucer for food and water.

-your uvb likely isn’t doing much at that height, and your heat lamp should be pointed straight down. You may need a bigger dome with a ceramic top.

Be sure to give these a read and come back with questions-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Thanks! All that info really helps. Do you have any suggestions on how to lower the UVB light I have safely? It’s sitting on top of the metal grating right now and I’m not sure how to hang it lower. Also any suggestions on brands for the temperature probe/gun?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks! All that info really helps. Do you have any suggestions on how to lower the UVB light I have safely? It’s sitting on top of the metal grating right now and I’m not sure how to hang it lower. Also any suggestions on brands for the temperature probe/gun?

You could attach it to the inside of the light, dangle it lower with some sort of strong string, or raise the substrate layer.

Really any cheap digital thermometers with good reviews are fine :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

(Just an additional note to what was said above: The UVB light's life is shortened by clipping it at an angle like you have it. They last longer when hanging straight down. Also the screen mesh filters out the good UVB rays and should not be used between the light and the tortoise.)