Introducing our tort family

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
Hello All,

I am new to the form but not to the husbandry of tortoises, after 20 years I still learning. I got my first matting pair of Sulcata tortoises in 1993. I sold that pair in 1997 when my first daughter was born and kept a hatching named Flower that will always be with our family.

Fast forward to 2005, I now have two daughters and a son and am ready to get a male Sulcata we named Bud to pair with Flower. Also in 2005 I adopted 5 California Desert tortoises from an older gentleman who had those tortoises for 35 years in his backyard. We kept 3 and have since re-homed 2 of the CDT’s to families I know well and they are doing great.

After 6 years (2011) and dozen or so hatchling offspring from Flower and Bud, Bud became very large and aggressive toward Flower. I did not have room in my backyard for another large bin for Bud so I had to re-home him. It was sad but needed to be done before Flower was injured or killed.

Then in May 2012 I adopted a male Russian tortoise from a friend named Turdy (a 6 year old boy named him). The Russian had become a chew toy for the family lab after living together in harmony for ten years. He had suffer moderate/sever shell damage and I took him in hoping to help/save him from a certain death. After some TLC preparing him for hibernation he made it through the first winter and is very active and hungry today. His shell has begun to peel a little where he had been chewed on exposing the bone. I will start a thread on this with pictures soon to get some advice from all of you.

So to date our family includes my wife, three children, Flower 16 year old female Sulcata, Winston 45+ year old male CDT, Cruiser 40+ year old male CDT, Princess 40+ year old female CDT, Turdy 10+ year old male Russian Tortoise, Grizzly a 5 year old rescued Newfoundland, Pawnee 8 year rescued alley cat, George 6 year old Bearded Dragon and a 60 reef aquarium.

I look forward to expanding my knowledge and maybe being able to help others.

Regards,

Attachments

• Flower.jpg
    Flower.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • Princess.jpg
    Princess.jpg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Winston.jpg
    Winston.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • Cruiser.jpg
    Cruiser.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Turdy.jpg
    Turdy.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 60

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) nice group of kids you have there, four and two legged and even the finned ones.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Wow, what a collection! Love to hear more from you about about your torts. Welcome!

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I love it when people with vast amounts of knowledge join TFO. Welcome! Look forward to hearing more about your tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Bruce!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
Thank you all for your kind welcomes. I wasn't sure were to say this so I put it here.

After reading hundreds of threads and thousands of posts, I must say this is a GREAT form. Not only is it full of great advice and loads of incredible information about keeping your tortoise happy and healthy but it is full of great people who love to help others in a polite educational way. Even when people disagree here it seems to stay a civil debate and I think that can only benefit everyone. Thank you all for a great tortoise community, I have really enjoyed my time here and look forward to reading future threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.